Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-17-2007, 12:54 PM

Smile Heading to Smokies First week in Sept. Need Fly fishing Help

I will be doing a weeks worth of Fly Fishing we are staying at Zoders Inn
There is a little stream thats runs behind our rooms was hoping for some help on what kind of Flies to bring and what gear I might need such as rod size and fly line weight anything that will help would be great also where are there some more spots close by that might be good .
Thanks,
Phil
Old 07-17-2007, 04:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

that little stream is the roaring fork. fishing where it converges with the little pigeon (close to danny morton's antique shop) should be good (it was 25 years ago when i last fished in town).
Old 07-17-2007, 07:51 PM

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammcdonald View Post
that little stream is the roaring fork. fishing where it converges with the little pigeon (close to danny morton's antique shop) should be good (it was 25 years ago when i last fished in town).
Hope that others may respond I will have to look you up when im there for some good pictures.
Thanks,
Phil
Old 07-19-2007, 12:52 PM

Phil,
I'm not an expert by any means, but there are a number of good fishing opportunities in and around the park. I beleive Gatlinburg city has some different regulations than what is inside the park and you could probably check with our hosts here Little River Outfitters or some of the shops in Gatlinburg. To the best of my knowledge, the fish in town are stocked trout but there are fish there and I have seen people pull some pretty decent size fish out of the streams.

In the mountains, there are a lot of streams and read the comments here to find out what streams folks are talking about. Pick up a park map at Sugarlands Visitor Center (just inside the park on the road from Gatlinburg) and find the streams you hear folks here talking about on the map. Here's one our hosts sell http://littleriveroutfitters.com/sto...cat=995&page=1

I've never fished it, but have heard roaring fork up by the loop road (roaring fork motor nature trail) has fish, the West Prong of the Piegon River that flows along the main road up to newfound gap has fish (or so I'm told, I am going to be fishing it the same weekend you're talking about). And the Little river over closer to Townsend (about 30-40 minute drive from where you're at) has fish.

Will they be active and catchable when you're there? What flies to use? I have no idea. That's one of the reasons I read this message board. I like to learn new things and there are folks on this board who are locals and know a lot and I try to learn from them.

Being fishermen, I don't think they're going to tell us to "go to this tree, turn left and walk 75 feet and cast a number 16 yellow adams at the base of the second rock from the sunken tree branch" kind of information. I would not expect them to and if I were a local, I probably wouldn't either.

On the other hand, I'm continually surprised by the information guys (and gals) share here and their willingness to help. It does seem like a really good group of people and I've learned a lot. I even caught some fish last month and hope to catch some more in September when I'm there again.

Jeff
Old 07-19-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks Jeff any kind of information will be helpful
Phil
Old 07-20-2007, 08:37 AM

There are special regs and fees for fishing in the city, Check with LRO. I've fished there a few times and have had just about everyone who saw me, come over and start asking questions. Had one women with three kids sit 5 feet from me for over 20 minutes yaking about nothing. If it's solitude you want, you well not find it in the city. The fish are big though.

I've also fished the Roaring Fork ( in the park off the loop road), it gets very little presure and is excellent. Stone flies worked will for me there.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Thanks

Cant wait to get up there will be going the at the end of the the month for 1 week Hope to have some luck with all this info its all new to me.
any other advice would be great.
Thanks,
Phil