Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Little River report

Arrived yesterday. Fished Metcalf this am. Very little water and caught nothing. Moved to Tremont and got 3 rainbow, 2 chubs and saw one hugh snake.
It rained in Townsend twice this afternoon, good rains. I intended to go to Elkmont tomorrow. Now I wonder if the water will be muddy. But it was wonderful to see the rain. I was shocked at the low water levels.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Muddy Waters

Not the blues man! I hope you went this am. Doubt the rain muddied the water much. Very little disturbance in the watershed so not too much mud shows up.

Tight lines,
John
Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 AM

Default muddy waters!

Off color water (not muddy) can be a blessing! I've experienced some great fishing in the park right after a rainshower. The rising freshly oxygenated water and all those terrestrials washed into the stream. Beetle patterns and green weenies work good, and also try some small streamers like a #8 muddler minnow for cruising browns.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Default West Prong?

Another big rain this morning. Went to Tremont about 10:30. Water had some color but was OK. Unfortunately, some kids from the institute got to my spots before I did. No luck.

My husband hiked up the West Prong Trail to campsite 18. Is the stream there a good place to fish? I guess that is the West Prong of the Little River.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:14 PM

Default fishing this evening

Fished above the institute a couple hours. The water was pretty stained, fish did not hit much. I tried the head of the pools where the water was coming in, using a fly and dropper. Had only one strike top water.

So.....do I hike up Little River Trail tomorrow? Or will the water be muddy and I should go to Pigeon Forge for a nice lunch and spend $??
Old 07-18-2007, 11:13 PM

I fish the Little River Trail area extensively. I'd hike up Little River Trail about 10 minutes, then tie on a beetle and toss it into the shaded areas and under over hanging trees and brush. Use 7X frog hair tippet. You don't need to hike up high on the Little River Trail to do well, better fishing is actually just up above the houses a little bit. 2 years ago, I caught 20+ trout oin the 4th of july, 90 degrees in mid day using that technique. I'd use it now if I weren't heading west in two weeks.

Tight lines
Randy Sale
Kytroutbum
Old 07-18-2007, 11:18 PM

Good advice. I have ants and grasshopper patterns but I'm not sure I have a beetle. Maybe I need to stop at LRO before going up the trail. I am also considering West Prong, never fished it at Campsite 18 and I'd like to try it. Rain looks more likely Friday so Friday may be Gatlinburg day.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:19 PM

Randy,
Where are you going out west? My husband and I are going to the Madison River in September. I hope all the forest fires are out by then.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:32 AM

I'm heading to the Shoshone Forest between Cody and Cooke City and the Beartooth Mountains. I know some lesser known streams full of trout, also the Beartooth is full of Alpine Lakes which range from no fish, to swarms on tiny Brookies to Brookies about a foot and Cutts up to 20 inches if you walk in. I might try a couple days on the S. and N. Forks of the Shoshone are full of water and the S. Fork has lots of BIG Browns.
If I go into the park, I'll usually fish the Lamar area while looking for the wolves, etc. I may be a heretic but I rarely fish the park- too crowded.

Watch the water temps and levels. The NPS has a ban on fishing between noon and 6 pm on a lot of streams. This happens on the West side of park a lot. Speaking of fires, Several years ago, My brother and I stopped to fish the Lamar for an hour on a "day off trip to West Y". I have pictures of a helicopter picking up water in the same pool I was fishing.
I need to get back to tying up some Turck's Tarantulas
Tight lines
Randy Sale
Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 PM

Default West Prong

Hiked Bote Mt. Trail Thursday. Got a late start. The stream at Campsite 18 is so pretty but the water is low. Caught a few small rainbow. Saw 2 larger ones in a pool but they saw me and would not rise to anything. Tried a dropper off the dry fly but they just looked at it and laughed. Smart fish...

Coming back not far up the trail from the campground my husband stepped right beside a snake stretched out on the side of the trail. It was so perfectly camoflaged he did not see it at all. Hard to tell if it was a rat snake or otherwise, it did not stay around long enough to identify.

Ran out of water coming back. It's good to remember how much water one needs on a summer day hiking. Had more in the truck and was glad to see that truck!

Met a guy who was horsebackriding a big loop starting at the SchoolHouse Gap trail. He said the water at the trailhead where we parked was usually 2-3 feet deep, it looked more like 6-8 inches now.

Did the Gatlinburg thing today. Too many people. Little River tomorrow, probably Elkmont if the tourists don't rule.