Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-19-2007, 07:28 AM

Default How's the Clinch fishing?

Hey guys,

I introduced myself a few months back while I was still living in DC and dreaming of Tennessee. My wife and I finally moved down to Knoxville this past weekend and now that all the hassle of moving is out of the way, it's time to focus on important stuff, fishing!

Anyway, I'm sure like a lot of you Knoxvillians, the Clinch is the closest trout stream to home. I haven't seen any reports recently on the river and I was wondering how it's fishing? Do folks still use mostly midge immitations?

Anyone planning on heading over to the river this saturday or sunday morning? I'd love to fish with some folks some time.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:24 AM

Default How is the Clinch.

I fished it last Sunday for 1 hour and between the 2 of us we brought 6 to hand - I on dries and 3 on midges. Check the TVA for the generator schedule (2 generators is 1 too many for me) and bring waders - the water is ice cold. We fish the park 2-3 times a week and plan on going back to the Clinch whenever the generators are 'off' just to remember what it is like to actually catch a fish. Feel free to join us if you like.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE

I fished at miller's island saturday morning and caught 10 and I probably missed that many! I caught about 7 on a #18 Sulfer Compara Dun, and the rest on a #20 BHPT...Zebra midges and small grifith gnats are working well right now too.

ffm4life
Old 07-19-2007, 03:38 PM

2 generators are 2 too many for me. You don't want to be in the water when they are generating.

The Clinch has been really hit or miss for me lately. If you go and don't catch much don't be too discouraged, you might light it up the next time.

I used to live in DC as well and would sometimes make the trip up to Gunpowder Falls. Have you fished it this year? If so, how is it doing?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I will scout out the Clinch this weekend just to get me casting arm back into rhythm.

Fishing up in the DC area is better than you'd expect. I never headed up to the Gunpowder, but I did drive over to western MD, 2.5 hours from DC and two awesome rivers in the Savage and North Branch of the Potomac. If anyone is ever up that way, both are abosolutely worth a stop.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

My son and I fished the Clinch at Clinton - behind the church - a couple of weeks ago and did pretty well. We got there fairly early (8:30), expecting the flow from the 2 am generatring to be down, but still had to wait about an hour for safe wading. We then proceeded to get skunked for the next 5 hours, throwing everything but the kitchen sink at 'em. There was one guy about 300 yards upstream from us who could do no wrong. Seemed every cast he was hooking something up. And in spite of all the yelling to and from his buddies on shore, we could never figure out what he was using. About 3:00 an "old" guy worked his way up to us from downstream fishing small sulfurs in the riffles right below us. His buddy was off to our right fishing nymphs in the deeper runs. The buddy was getting skunked while the "old guy" in the straw hat was pulling fish after fish out of the riffle. All good size bows. I stopped and watched him for a while trying to pick up on exactly what he was doing differently and what he was using. When he decided to stop for the day and watch his buddy get skunked, we chatted for a while. He told me the only thing he had luck with was sulfur dry flies fished just the way I was watching him. He said he didn't care for nymphing and why should he when he's catching 'em like that on dries?!

As the water started coming back up, my son decided to fish his way back out and started throwing a size 14 para adams with a size 18 BHPT dropper into some of the deep water below a riffle. Bam! three good size bows in 15 minutes. The largest one went about 18"! I, of course, immediately tied on a para adams with a BHPT dropper and on the first cast brought a 10" bow to hand. The next one came out of the same small pool and went about 14" before I long-distance released him. It was at about that point that the water began coming up too fast continue. Besides, we were both sunburned by then.

So now we know for next time!

Good luck.

Gerry Romer
Old 07-20-2007, 02:24 PM

Have been fishing around the church for the past few weekends. Seems like the sulphurs really start turning on about 12:30. I've had little luck before then. Occasional fish on midge pupa.

Try a sulphur emerger and drop a small pheasant tail off the back. Using this combo I hooked several fish over 12 inches last weekend.

Good Luck!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:02 PM

Wow, you guys have been so helpful, thanks again. I think I'll pick up some flies tommorow (from LRO, of course) and hit the Clinch on Sunday morning at Clinton. I'll let y'all know how I did (or more likely, didn't).

Is there any way to get TVA's release forecast more than a day our or do I have to wait until Saturday to se what they are planning for Sunday?

Anyone else heading that way?

Dave
Old 07-20-2007, 03:16 PM

I don't know of any way to see the release schedule more than a day out.

Lately they have been running the same schedule on weekends:

Nothing from 11pm until 10am the following morning. BUT that is always subject to change.

Try fishing Miller's Island or the Weir Dam from sunup to 10ish, pack up when the water rises, grab some lunch, and then tackle those sulphurs at the church around noon.

That has been my method the last few weeks and seems to pay off a little better than just fishing the downstream side. The fish are usually smaller around Miller's Island, but any tug is better than no tug at all!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:18 PM

Default clinch sulphurs

If you don't have them get some 12' 5 or 6x leaders and tie another 3' of 6x on to them to fish those sulphurs. Comparaduns and emergers.
Good Luck,
John