Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-23-2007, 08:05 AM

Well I headed over to the Clinch on Sunday morning to check out the scene at Clinton around 9 am. The water was pretty low so I assume it had dropped of from the night's release. I fished for a couple of hours and had at least five fish flash or hooked briefly on a (#1 BHPT and (#20) zebra midge. None rought in, but pretty consistent action as far as I'm concerned. I headed home around 11, just when the sulphurs were about to come off I'm sure. All in all, it was a great time and I really appreciate all the advice you guys and the folks at LRO gave me. I sure am glad to be back in the Volunteer state.

Thanks again!
Dave

ps, I saw a few folks fishing (nymphs I think) directly down stream. I have always been taught/read that you want to fish upstream or across and down to about 45 degrees. I had never seen that method before. Maybe it's a Clinch thang..
Old 07-23-2007, 08:48 AM

Hey CinciVol,

Were you the guy I ran into? You were leaving as I was walking to the river.
You had on a TN Vol cap and tee shirt, right? We spoke briefly if I'm correct.

Don't worry about missing "all those sulphurs", I saw a few, but nothing like the past few weeks. The fish were not as cooperative either. I hooked up a few times, missed a few, and had a few long distance releases. I probably should have used nymphs.

If that was you I ran into, nice "sort of meeting you". If you want to fish sometime to learn the area, let me know. You can email me at chazrufus@aol.com since we can't do the personal message thing on this forum anymore.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:00 AM

Charles,

That was me leaving the river yesterday. Nice "sort of" meeting you too. I would certainly love to learn some more about the Clinch and the other area rivers. I'll send you an email and maybe we can hook up on the water some time soon. I wouldn't mind tangling with some of those little fellas up by the dam, still need to catch my first TN trout!

Dave
Old 07-25-2007, 09:15 PM

Dave,

If you decide to go dry, I have had best luck on comparaduns in sz 16-18 with either a medium yellow or dull orange color; and very light bodied comparaduns (cream colored) in the same size range. If you can find them, get some BHPT's tied on curved nymph hooks Like Tiemco 2487,88 or 2457's (just ask the flyshop folks...most are tyers) in sz 14-18. Also you may want to try swinging a small sz 14,16 partridge and yellow soft hacke just before the fish start really rising consistantly and during! Fish the softhackles across and down with slow, short strips of line or a figure eight retrieve. Keep your slack policed up when fishing down and across. Ifyou are fishing nymphs, I strongly recomend using a small yarn indicator and 6X flouro. Your nymph does not need to be bouncing the bottom either. I have noticed the takes getting lighter lately with the lower clear water conditions...the yarn will let you know when to set the hook! Have some griffith's gnats handy if the midge bite gets going on top. If you are fishing the upper slow water streches try some sz 18 tan scuds. As usual, zebra midges in black and silver, olive and gold, or brown and copper are usually good fish producers on the Clinch. When all else fails, a sz 8-12 olive bugger (weighted) stripped through the runs and pools should bring soem fish to hand...perhaps even a real hog!
Let me know if you would like to hook-up some time!

AA
Old 07-25-2007, 09:31 PM

I am thinking about heading to the Clinch this weekend for my first fly fishing experience. I feel like a little experience is going to help more than anything. If anyone is thinking about going there this Saturday let me know I could use a lot of help and advice I am sure. Ben.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcunnin1 View Post
I am thinking about heading to the Clinch this weekend for my first fly fishing experience. I feel like a little experience is going to help more than anything. If anyone is thinking about going there this Saturday let me know I could use a lot of help and advice I am sure. Ben.
ben,

I may head over to the Clinch on Sunday morning at Clinton. If you want to meet up, let me know. However, I can't promise much more than the blind leading the blind if you want help/advice from me, but who knows, two heads are usually better than one!
Old 07-27-2007, 05:08 PM

Of course I would love to meet up, trust me I am blind you might just need glasses when it comes to experience. I am just looking for a little bit of help casting, presentation etc..I would just keep practicing behind the house but I got my waders in and can not wait any longer. Let me know what time your going Sunday and where you would like to meet up at. If you want you can email me at bencunnin1@yahoo.com, Ben.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Long term release "schedules"

Backcountry and Cinci;

http://www.tva.gov/river/recreation/sched_norris.htm

This link shows where TVA plans to release (or not) at least within some limits. Looks like you can plan on no release prior to 10 AM on weekends for the next couple of months, as well as counting on 1 generator from 10-2.

It isn't everyday and it isn't a commitment, but at least it tells what TVA is planning for weekends.

As they say, "Subject to change without warning. Use caution below dams."

Neal
Old 07-29-2007, 01:16 PM

Missed you Cincivol, I had a great morning. Woke up at 6 and said I do not think so went back to sleep until 7 got up and got on the road. I caught 3 fish none of them big, all between 4-6 inches. I did have a pig on the line but he blew up out of the water and spit my fly back at me. I got out of there around 10 knowing that the water would start rising and not wanting to get caught out there. All in all I am thrilled it was my first time fly fishing and I got good bites lost a couple and landed 3 all on dry flies. If you want to go some other time I am game whenever. Ben.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:23 AM

Ben,

sorry I couldn't make it this weekend. The bad news is that I had a vehicle emergency, the good news is that the result was the wife giving me the go-ahead on a new truck! Now all I need is more fishing equipment to fill it up (I'm glad she doesn'e read this board!). Anyway, glad you had a good day on the river. Three fish on dries? Thats great, I've probably caught 95% of all my trout on nymphs, maybe you are on to something. Let's shoot for this weekend, I can go either Sat or Sun if your game.

Dave