Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-21-2007, 04:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher
Default Another Day with Mtnman2888

Met up with Mtnman this morning approx 7:00 a.m. and we headed off to a N.C. brookie stream that he has been telling me about for a while now. We hit the water a little before 8:00 a.m. and it was very cool. We were at approx. 4200' elevation, and the air temp was probably mid to high fifties. I was warned by Craig to be ready for a workout on this stream, and a workout is exactly what I got. The fishing was slow in the morning, but it seemed to pick up quite a bit in the afternoon. I tried nymphs all day, and only managed a few fish, but mid-day it seemed like all the fish wanted was dries. Craig spent more time with dries than me, and naturally his results were better. Craig probably ended the day with 12-15 fish, and I caught around 8 or so. Fish of the day honors went to Craig for a brookie that honestly was 11-12", but it flipped off while he was trying to get it out of the water for a photo. I'll vouch for Craig that this fish really does exist inspite of the lack of photographic evidence. It was beautiful day in the mountains, but the area of western N.C. we were in is in bad shape, this stream was extremely low. Here are a few pictures of the day.

You can't see much water in this picture, but it is there. There's no trail here, so it's rock hopping the whole way.

Craig in stealth mode. We spooked a lot of fish due the low clear water. It was difficult not to spook them in these conditions.

BAIT. This wasn't an inch worm, it was a 2 inch worm. This thing was huge.

More excercise. This place was beautiful, but it was the most physically challenging stream I have ever been to.

The reward for a lot of hard work. This was a nice 7" fish that Craig managed. A lot of the fish today were about this size.

I would love to fish this stream in good water conditions, I'm guessing this a stream you could catch some serious numbers on. It was a great day with Craig, in the mountains, catching brookies.

Matt
Old 07-21-2007, 04:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

I forgot a few pics from the trip in my previous post. Here they are.

Craig with some more good dry fly results.

One of the better fish of the day from Craig. Except for the one that got away of course.

Craig nymphing a nice hole early in the day. Notice the size of the boulders.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:20 AM

It was definitely another interesting day. I think matt can vouch that when we go fishing, we usually get a pretty good workout, too. The big fish was obviously the highlight of the day for me, though. I was pretty mad that we didn't get a picture, but i guess sometimes that happens. If i would have had a net i would have been fine, so i'm thinking it's time to get a net and carry it with me. The funny thing was that the area i caught him out of couldn't have been much more than a 3' x 3' hole in between extremely large boulders. I was standing on top of one of them and kinda dropped my fly down about 6' into this small hole and he came up to hit it, but i missed him. I tried again and this time he came for it again, but he just plain missed the fly. I tried another cast and pulled out his boy, a small 4" brookie. Knowing that he wouldn't hit again, i tried once more to humor myself and he came back! This time i got a solid hookset and got him, the only problem now was to get down to the fish so i could get a picture. Like i said, i was standing on top of a large boulder probably 6' above this very small, yet very deep hole. I slid on my butt down as far as i could go but i still had to pick the fish up out of the water to get him to me, and when i started raising him up he flipped off. It was truely a trophy fish and it's a shame, but there's not much you can do.

Matt had a similar experience with a little bit smaller fish. This fish looked to be about 7" or so and he came up to hit the fly 6 times!!! Same fish on about six consecutive casts! It was another great day on the water and i'd like to thank matt for putting up with all the **** that i've put him through on our fishing trips.

Most of the fish early on came to nymphs, namely mr. hartsell's yellarhammer nymph and i believe matt caught his on the smbsh. I was going to rig up with that first, but he got first dibs on it since he rigged his rod up at home! Thanks for the always productive flies hugh! Later on, they seem to key in on dries as matt used a stimulator and i used an ehc.

Here are some more pictures of the absolute rugged landscape. I've never been to a place with this many boulders in my life. That's all the streambed is, it's definitely taxing on legs and knees. Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Craig

An upstream view, this is what it looked like all day.

Matt fished this little hole at the bottom here.......

.......And it produced this fish

Matt fishing a nice hole; in normal water conditions this river could hold lots of big holes like this, which could mean lots of larger than average fish.......

Another look upstream, at some point it became to look depressing because after you would climb and climb and climb you look up and see this.....

Last edited by mtnman2888; 07-22-2007 at 10:45 AM..
Old 07-22-2007, 02:28 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only crazy one here. I began fishing the mountains in 1994 and spent my first three seasons on streams like that. I have crawled and hugged more rocks than I care to remember. I still do streams like that on occasion. I just want to them every time I go anymore. I have a real fondness for that type of stream. I caught my biggest Brookie on a stream like that in 2003. That fish was all of 11" I couldn't believe it when he hit on a Joe's Hopper size 8. I fished with a 6 1/2 ft 2wt and boy what a fight. I still get excited about it. Keep up the good reports and maybe one day we can fish some of my spots together.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:11 PM

looks like a good time. We ought to maybe try to fish together sometime i am between salisbury and kannapolis
"Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." - Charles F. Orvis
Old 07-22-2007, 06:47 PM

Hey guys! Sorry I missed this one! Is that the stream I think it is Craig (the one we fished earlier this year with great results and the first time we tried the JetBoil)? If so, boy that is an XTREME workout!!!! Glad you guys had a good time!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:49 PM

That looks like a fun stream - I love exploring places like that, the more out of the way, the better.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:07 AM

Yeah shawn it was the same one, water was really low this time, however. I guess it was expected though.

Hans, i would like to go fishing one day. Maybe next time i'm over on that side of the park (don't know when that will be) we can meet up and go.

Salisbury isn't that far away at all, dave, you probably drive right past statesville on your way to the stream.

Craig
Old 07-23-2007, 12:46 PM

Mtnman thats one of my favorite places to fish if you can just get over the horrible conditions. I think we talked about the same stream earlier in the year when you were up there. My dad took me to a creek not far from there Sunday evening and I just about guarantee you that this little brook sees very few if any fisherman. The brookies that came out of here were almost solid black with beautiful halos. I will be going back sometime with a camera so I can show these little guys to everyone.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:51 AM

WHERE IS THIS!!! That is awesome