Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-21-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Out and about in the park Saturday July 21

Well, we got done with our sampling on Cosby at about 11 this morning and I decided to try upper Greenbriar. It was amazingly cold. 59 degrees above the Ramsay Cascades trailhead. I caught and released 15 Brookies in about two hours of fishing. I got tired and didn't want to venture in too far by myself so I quit at about 3 pm. I went over to Little River and stopped at Millsaps Bottoms and began fishing at 5 pm. Nothing biting and the water was a way too warm 68. I guess Elkmont didn't get the rain Mt. Leconte got.

Cosby Creek was running a good flow and so did Greenbriar.

Anything below Elkmont seem to be too warm still.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

ramsey is always cold.........i did the falls a couple of days ago.....it was nice while others are not. saw 13 bears, 8 deer, 2 groundhogs, and numerous voles....plus caught 12 mountain piranha which i release later near the "marrying rock" at the 2nd parking area as you enter greenbriar/
Old 07-21-2007, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the word on Cosby...as I said in your earlier thread, I love that little stream. My oldest daughter got her first wild trout on a fly there, and I've had a lot of fun on that stream. Back in June, the fish were on the verge of being trapped in isolated pools, where they would become easy marks for birds and snakes. A lot of pockets where I caught fish in April were dry. I stayed away when we were up there last week. Now, if the mountains keep getting the afternoon shower activity, things will start looking up. I'll probably continue to give Cosby a rest until Fall.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:17 PM

ijspouth,

You ought to give Greenbriar some consideration. I can't point you to some spots where you can have a blast and be in solitude. Greenbriar is twice the size of Cosby and the specs are plentiful.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:40 PM

Smile Brookie Haven

Hey Hans,

I am glad you had a successful trip to the upper Greenbriar. I hope the rain keeps happening in the Smokies. We can't buy a lick of rain in my part of West TN. I'm heading to Ashville, NC tomorrow for a training session. Probably won't get a chance to do any flyfishing on this trip since I am riding with a colleague. Looking forward to spending the week in the mountains regardless. I am trying to transfer to East TN, put my name in the hat for a position just east of Knoxville, hopefully it will work out so I can fulfill my wish of getting a forestry job near the Smoky Mountains.

BTW, Sam, you kill me with this mountain piranha stuff, I think I saw a school of them during my last trip to the smokies. They were feeding on a big yellow tube on the lower Greenbriar, LOL.

Have fun, and keep up the good reports,

Neal
Old 07-21-2007, 11:48 PM

I've only fished Greenbriar once, and that wasn't in the best of circumstances - end of February, no hits. I'll have to give it another try under better circumstances - perhaps sometime this Fall. The last few trips have focused on the North Carolina side of the park...a lot more water and better conditions. It sounds like you had a fun time this afternoon. I hope to get back up there in August before the kids have to go back to school...in the meantime, I need to work on my boat and start posting some saltwater reports.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:17 PM

Neal!

Good to hear from you. I've been missing your trips over here. Anyway, you haven't really missed much. We need rain bad. The storm that hit Le Conte Friday helped the Greenbriar area but when I got over to Little River it hadn't rained any. The water is way too warm. The only place that is real cold right now is the Hiwassee and the other tailwaters. The cold spell around easter helped the HI. They kept the cold water in the lake and it is now coming through. I guess I will be heading to the HI next weekend. I don't know.

Keep in touch and let's do another trek to Fish Camp Prong in the near future.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Water temps over on abrams

General info for anyone looking at heading to Abrams: We check the stream temps and record the stream conditions as we take water samples for Acid Deposition.
Abrams Spring creek section: Low and slow but 58deg.!!
Mill Creek: very low and 64 deg.
Abrams downstream of confluence: low but fishable and 62 deg.

All these temps were recorded around 12pm and we saw light insect activity. A few tan caddis were flying around. Lots of deer actively feeding close to the roads made for typical traffic jams.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Rabbit Creek

Hiked over to Campsite #15, next to Rabbit Creek and fished for a bit, but the water was very low and it felt very warm (forgot my thermometer). Has anyone ever fished that stretch of water? Caught a bunch of shiners in the 3" range. I would think that if there were trout anywhere around in that stream they'd be getting fat on shiners, but I didn't see any.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:38 PM

I've never fished Rabbit Creek, but from what I've read about it, it's marginal water during the best of times. According to a book, it fishes best after several rainy years, which certainly isn't the case now.