Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-21-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Warmwater report

Went on the LRTU acid depo sampling to abrams this morning and finished up about 1:30. After a lite lunch , I decided after seeing the massive yellow tuber hatch at the "Y", I would head downriver and try out some new spots for smallies and gills. The water is definitely up higher than last week and the water is a little off color. I changed flies and tactics alot for the first 3 hours and had only caught 1 fish. I switched over to one of my foam poppers in green and finally started hooking up. Ended up with 10 smallies on the popper and several nice bluegills. Most were small but all were great fighters. It was a beautiful day to be on the water.

10" Redeye!

Good eating!

Average LR smallie

Nice chunk
Old 07-21-2007, 11:34 PM

Nice fish. I am really jealous at all the fishing that you have been doing. I have been working so hard lately that I havent had time to do anything. But the one nice thing is that with all the money that Ive earned I have been stocking up on camping equipment for trips this fall. I got a new 2wt, tent, stove, filter, and backpack so I am planning on a camping trip next weekend somewhere very far away from anybody. I dont have to work tomorrow so I think I will take a short day hike somewhere and practice my mountain skills. Good pics again.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:02 PM

Got to fish while the fishins good, never know what the next day will bring. Remember how we were all down with the "cabin fever" last winter?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:09 PM

Actually, I can't wait for it to start getting cold again. This heat has been driving me nuts.

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee
Old 07-23-2007, 02:16 PM

Default 2 ways to cool off

Kris, Need to beat the heat? You can either join the yellow tuber hatch navy at the "Y", or do as I did this past Sat. I was wading and not really watching where I stepped when my sandal's toe-dragged a rock and I took a header face first in about waist deep water. Cools you off quickly!
Lets hear some reports and picts from the S. Holston.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:15 PM

Yeah we fished the Watagua on Sat. We got there late, put in at 1pm and floated till 7pm from River Ridge to Persinger Bridge. Early off we hit a decent caddis in hatch in of course the caddis riffles. Picked up some nice bows. I missed about 20 fish. I think my timing is off from yellowstone or something, cause I was having a rough time of it. Will be working on a Yellowstone slide show this week, I'll have it available on you tube, should be good. Friday I did go rafting, but on the Occoee, it was awesome, I'm looking into white water kayak lessons, maybe a good excuse to be out when the rivers are blown out!

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee
Old 07-23-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Bream

G,
That bream is beautiful. Always loved those dark purplish ones, well fed too. Is this the camera that got the dunking?
Nice pics.
John
Old 07-23-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Kris, Need to beat the heat? You can either join the yellow tuber hatch navy at the "Y", or do as I did this past Sat. I was wading and not really watching where I stepped when my sandal's toe-dragged a rock and I took a header face first in about waist deep water. Cools you off quickly!
Lets hear some reports and picts from the S. Holston.
Hehehehe yeah the yellow tuber hatch..... hehe and there was a fairly decent blue tuber hatch also Sunday about 11:49am EST Hehehehe I love it! Oh yeah nice fish Troutman!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:42 AM

Default camera?

John, that is the same camera that was dunked earlier this summer. It spent 3 days in a ziplock bag with dry rice. I left it in the truck during the day to make sure it was warm. The moisture was pulled out and its working but the flash does not work and it always takes 3 pictures everytime you shoot. The aperture will get stuck closed sometimes when you turn it on, which is pretty annoying when you've got a fish in the net! I'll keep using it till it completely dies I guess.
Ahh yes, the blue tubers. My personal favorite is the lime green tube that seems to be stuck around the waist of someone that really should not be wearing a 2 piece bikini!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:40 AM

Default 1st cat on a fly

This past weekend I was camping down on Watts Bar lake and spent about 3 hours on Saturday throwing flies to bluegills from the kayak. I caught about 20 small gills and 1 very small largemouth about 2" long. The biggest fish of the day was this channel cat caught on a brown bugger hopping it across a mudflat. It measured 18" and no I didn't fry it up!
I saw a few Hex mayflies but most of the gills were caught on green weenie jigs.