Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-22-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Elk River trip

For years I have hunted on and around the Elk river and spent lots of time scouting the valley there, but until this weekend had never fished the river below Tims Ford. We put the canoe in at an access , the first one below the dam I believe, and paddled up a little more than a mile. With no generation, this stream looks so much like a big spring creek, nice bottom with tremendous weed growth. Misplaced my thermometer, but the water had to be upper 50's at best. Had waders but as it warmed up, it actually felt good to wet wade. I had a friend from work with me who badly needed to get out of the house. He was spin fishing and never had any luck.We moved down very slowly and I noticed fish rising casually all along the stretch of water we were in. Griffith's gnat, #20. Fishing slowed after lunch so we killed time and chatted with the few people we saw drift by.After 4:00, we saw only one boat come by. The river came alive with fish nosing up for midges and a hatch of small pale mayflies really got going. As we drifted I saw much better fish than what I had been catching including a brown that looked over 20". I hooked up over a dozen of mostly small fish, mostly browns. I put the flyrod in my buddy's hand on the home stretch where I noticed lots of feeding fish. A canoe is not the best place to learn from. After only five minutes of vicious casting and then some verbal instruction and correction, he hooked his first trout on a flyrod with a dry fly.That ended a great day to be out on the river. One of the best things I noticed about the river there is how secluded it seemed. No noise distractions. Heard more bobwhite quail calling than I can remember anywhere. Would like to figure out how to arrange a shuttle using my canoe next time. The local canoe services, so I've heard, won't shuttle for you with your own canoe. If anyone on the board knows how to get a shuttle here, I would like to hear about it.

mstone
Old 07-22-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Shuttle

I may be wrong, often am in fact, but I think Tim (Tim's Flies & Lies) will shuttle you.

sb
Old 07-23-2007, 12:18 AM

Tim offers shuttles, if he can't email me, I can help you out Monday-Thursday.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, will keep this in mind for the next trip.
mstone