Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-22-2007, 10:20 PM

Default worst snake experience?

I hiked up lynn camp yesterday and couldn't help but think about running into a snake. hiking alone, i was very cautious about all my steps and around dead logs and such. I was just wondering what the scariest accounter some others have had with snakes in the park. such as being struck at, or even bitten?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:09 PM

I was bitten in the face while climbing up a large boulder by a timber rattlesnake. It caused my face and head to swell to such an extent that they had to remove my brain. Haven't missed it though, so don't spend too much of your time worrying about snakes.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Scariest Encounter

I didn't lose my brain (though my wife may beg to differ), but I nearly stepped on a large Rattler nearly 10 years ago. I was hiking the loop made by Anthony's Creek and Spence Field trail, it was April and I was hiking by myself too far out(I would now say) There was a big one lying in the sun on the trail and got within 5 feet before it rattled. Scared the H out of me! It never did strike though. I watched it and tossed small pebbles at it, never would strike. I left it alone shortly thereafter. Luckily all we have are the rattlers and copperheads in these mountains. I'd rather come upon a rattler than the ch, at least they usually let you know where they are!
Best,
John
Old 07-24-2007, 01:49 PM

I was fishing around Metcalf one day when into the water about 10 feet away came this guy who started casting all herky jerky and cussing every other word. I hopped out of the water and watched him for a minute or two when he yelled "What the @!$* are you looking at?" I smiled and said, "Apparently a lawyer".
Old 07-24-2007, 06:09 PM

Smoky encounter - Was on the trail to Abrams and came across a copperhead trailside that i swear was the biggest one Ive ever seen. If he was any bigger, I would have ate him because I was pretty hungry with how long that trail is to get back there.

Non-Smoky encounter - Was just down in the Ozark National Scenic Riverways in Southern Missouri and came across a minimum 4.5 foot timber rattler sunning himself on a gravel road. I would have gotten an up close picture but I think he would have ate me.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

i worry about the appalachian anaconda which inhabits waters NOT covered by the mountain piranha. be careful out there! ya never know where the next big one lives.

Last edited by sammcdonald; 07-24-2007 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2007, 10:20 PM

well my worst encounter wasnt in the park but anyway....me and my buddy were about ten and playing around in my papaw's creek. we had a net and were trying to catch minnows and frogs, when we thought we saw a frog dip into a hole on the side of the creek bank. when we kneeled down to look at it and stuck a stick in the hole a snake shot out. i didnt hang around long enough to see what kind it was or even how big it was, i just jumped the creek and sprinted atleast a hundred yards through the field.

besides that, nothing too scary though i've seen a few copperheads, and saw one strike my friends golf club when he was messing with it.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:27 AM

this happened a few weeks ago, and kevin and plateau angler can verify. we were on the watauga when it came a sudden downpour with intense lighting striking all around us. we all three just broke out running back towards the vehicle, which was about a hundred yards away. now the bank there is large clumps of 2 foot high grass, interspersed with ankle breaking holes. the river has various rocks about the size of basketballs, which we now can't see because of the rain beating the surface of the water. It's a minor miracle that no one was hurt, as this was run-for-your-life chaos. so we're running, mostly one foot on the bank, one in the water. david's in front of me and I see him jump (just like jumping a hurdle, he never broke stride) and at the same time yell "snake!" ok, so he just jumped a snake, and I look for it so I can jump it too. well I never saw that one, but I did dodge 3 other snakes on that mad dash back to the car. all of them were within a few inches of me. I think kevin claims to have swerved past even more than that.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:17 AM

So far, I haven't seen any snakes in the park...I know it's only a matter of time, but they really don't worry me too much. I agree that copperheads are probably more of a threat, since they don't make any noise, and they tend to blend in with the leaf litter on the forest floor. I almost stepped on one when I was about 7 or so. I'm glad the Smokies don't have any cottonmouths; now that's an aggressive snake, particularly if they smell fish on you. Down here, I like to see a good sized gator where I'm fishing - they tend to thin out the snakes and the trash fish like gars.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:06 AM

My best snake encounter occurred at my neighbors house last month. The husband was out of town for work and I got a call at 10:30 PM from his wife saying that there was a snake in the girl's room and could I come and get it. I went over there and sure enough there was a 3 or 4 foot black snake hanging from the HVAC register in the ceiling. How it got in their duct work is beyond me but it must have got stuck trying to crawl out cause its head was hanging about a foot out of the grill. I got some heavy leather gloves and a chair and climbed up there and grabbed it by its head. It didn't like that, and it started biting the gloves. After pulling on it for about 10 minutes i finally got it out and make a good snake out of it since it was pretty injured from all of my pulling.

That's the only snake i've ever touched. The ones i see in the mountains i just ignore.