Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-25-2007, 09:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

I'm yet to have a bad snake experience in the moutains. Seen most of my snakes on Little river. All I have seen are the banded water snakes that are so common in the south. The seem to stay fairly shor, but some of teh ones I have seen have been pretty fat. I grew up in florida, there was always snakes around, and there were times that we had various snakes as pets. I've only experienced one poisonous snake in the wild and that was in norther CA. I know the bad ones are in the places that I fish, I don't really worry about them too much, but its always in the back of my mind when I'm wet wading. I'm sure I'll come accross one eventually if I fish long enough.

Matt
Old 07-25-2007, 11:33 AM

Default S.E. Asia

Both from a country that no longer exists. Bamboo viper in a small banana tree just outside the Company Headquarters hootch, dispatched by SGT who threw the dead snake into the showers where the mamasans were doing laundry. One actually broke down a wall getting out, and would have killed him if she had a weapon. Came upon a python that had apparently just eaten, lying across a trail. Instructed the troops to simply step over it, as there were pleanty of bad guys around and no one wanted to alert them to where we were. About twelve inches or so in diameter, and could see neither end in the bush. Many others in NM, AZ, but not too many in native KY. Watson
Old 07-25-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Gators while fishing

Now the gators would probably ruin the fishing for me......... for certain if I was wading! Several years ago we were vacationing on ST. George Island in Florida. One morning I fished back in a wilderness area (not really but no development there). I was fishing for redfish, wading along about waist deep in a tidal creek. I looked over at one point and saw a spot where the spartina grass was laid down in a path and it hit me (correctly or incorrectly) that it looked like a gator trail. I got out of there quick! As close as I ever want to be to a gator, while in the water!
Best,
John
Old 07-25-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Thank you.

HW3,
Thank you for your service.
Best,
John
Old 07-25-2007, 01:08 PM

I've never had any real problems with gators in the wild, at least in Louisiana; they've always skedaddled when I've gotten too close. In Florida, it was another matter...I had one "interesting experience" with one - I found the gators there to be more aggressive. Funny thing is, this was in the Tallahassee area, way back in the sticks, so it wasn't a case of the gators being conditioned to humans. The only other thing I can think of is, there is more hunting of gators here in Louisiana, and so perhaps they're a little more wary. Anyway, I've always thought they were pretty neat animals, and far more predictable than other wild critters I could think of.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:32 PM

My father lives in Pensacola Fl. His house backs up to a lake in a nature reserve, which backs up to a golf course, all of which is surrounded by Escambia bay. Due to the isolation of his house there are plenty of gators that live in the lake, along with a ton of trophy bass. A few years ago I let my father keep the dog while I started a new job in Nashville. Two weeks after my pup moved in with my father he disappeared from the back yard. It seemed pretty obvious that the little fellow was snatched up by a hungry gator while he was playing by the lake. It as not until two years later that we found out that the dog wonder off and was adopted by the quite old man that lives down the street. None the less I am still very cautious of the gators every time I fish the lake for its trophy bass.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:44 PM

Default snake

saw 2 copperheads,about 3 feet apart on a large rock saddled to a bank on Lynn Fork-They were not real big--18 inchers maybe--They were sacked out on the rock taking in a few rays--enjoying the summer--just a couple local poisionous snakes--enjoying the park---minding their own business----------I hate snakes-------
Old 07-25-2007, 04:03 PM

Default 2 Snakes

Spring River, Arkansas - It was early spring, and I thought too cold for snakes. We were walking down a bank when my friend said, "don't move." I stopped and looked down. The tail of a cottonmouth was about one foot from my wadding boot. I did not see the open mouth which is what Steve saw to warn me. I jumped about 3 feet down the bank. I think the only thing that prevented my getting bit was the cool weather.

Deschutes River, Oregon - We knew this was rattlesnake country so we were very careful. Steve was in the water fishing, and I decided to venture down stream along the path to check out the water around the bend. I walked down but didn't really find a good place to wade into the river. So, I walked back. About half way back, I heard a slight noise. Now, I was watching the path just ahead of me very intensely. But when I heard that noise, I stopped to look further ahead. About 6 feet in front of me was a rattlesnake. He crossed the path and hid under a scrub brush. He only rattled one more time, but neither time was enough to really recognize it as a rattlesnake. To this day, that is what really bothers me. It was not a fair warning.

I hate snakes!

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:05 PM

I had just given my son grief for squealing at the sight of a water snake sunning himself on the rocks along the banks of the LR. I was headed down a steep embankment with my hands holding along the rocks when I was sure I heard a hiss or rattle. The faster I descended the louder the sound grew. When I finally jumped to safety on a rock in the river I turned to see the hiss was the sound of my tippet spool roatating as it dispensed line stuck on a branch back on shore..... Whew!!!!!!

The worst encounter was being attacked by a water moccasin in a low sitting aluminum boat in the swamps of LA. It swam directly at the boat from shore. As it got closer I stood up and attacked it with the only weapon in hand, my rod. I hit it a good whack and it immediately started spinning in the water. I lost sight of it as the boat swung on top of it, and when it reappeared it was coiled up on top of the water and tried to jump in the boat. I don't remember what happened after that, but know it was the last time I fished from the bow of an aluminum boat.

<'))))><
justfishing
Old 07-25-2007, 07:50 PM

here's a story i just remembered as i was reading this. about three years ago my family was visiting some friends that were camping in townsend along the little river and i knew that i would want to fish up there so i brought my rod. it was summertime and i was wet wading in water a little over my knee in depth. on a dead log partially overhanging the water i saw a small water snake. maybe 10 inches or so just sunning. i knew it wasnt much so i didnt worry about it, but then it slithered off the log and into the water and began swimming downstream towards where i was. the snake seemed to not care a bit that i was in the water and actually swam withing just inches beside me. i could have easily grabbed it. i figured he didnt want anything to do with me, and i just let him be, but it makes me glad it wasnt a dangerous snake b/c with deeper water around me, it would have been impossible to escape real quick.