Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-25-2007, 11:59 PM

The strangest experance I ever had was when I was Bass fishing Kentucky Lake at Birdsong Marina and had what I found out later was a cotton mouth swim up next to my trolling motor and try to climb in the boat. A few swift hits with a boat paddle and it decided to go else where. Needless to say it left the area to come back later and another boat was sitting in the same area. A man was sitting on his casting deck skinning the snake. said it was one of the largest cotton mouths he had ever seen so he killed it for the skin. first time and hopefully the last time I see one. He may have been yanking my chain be he said he has seen them tring to swim up the overflow line to get in live wells. Maybe that why the bass boat stays in the garage now.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:51 AM

No, he wasn't totally yanking your chain...they're aggressive, and if they detect the scent of fish, they'll go anywhere to get it. I used to see some real big ones, thicker around than my leg, right behind the house when I was growing up. Now, with all the homes being built, even in what used to be swamp, I imagine they've been displaced, at least until the next flood.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:56 AM

Not in the park but.....I've stepped literally over two copperheads in TN (feet came within a foot or less of both) and neither struck. First was several years ago and was actually coiled. The second was last fall and it was just laying along the edge of the trail. My little sis stepped over the first one also and was fine/didn't get bit but it caused some excitement. I believe Someone is watching out for me...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 07-27-2007, 02:55 AM

Default snakes and gators

1) Was fishing KY Lake about 20 years ago and Dad and I tied up to a bank to eat lunch. The bank was clay with a lot of holes in it. First I see a snake, then he sees one, then we see about 10, half of them trying to get into the boat. He's yelling and I'm trying to get the boat untied with snakes a foot from me trying to get over the side of the boat. I didn't know how to ID snakes at the time, but I guess they looked like plain old water snakes.
2) Hiking Big South Fork about 12 years ago to a secret fishing spot when I noticed something in the leaves and stopped one pace from stepping on a copperhead. That snake was the most nonchalant snake ever. I poked at him with the rod for a bit, trying to make a leaf look alive so he'd try to eat it. He stared, but never struck. I guess being a pit viper he could tell there was nothing alive there to eat.
3) Hiking BSF again last year (Honey Creek area) when this extremely aggressive copperhead busted out from under a fern and came at me, striking into the air twice while I'm hopping backwards. I've never seen a snake that mad. He then dove under a boulder. I suspect some hikers ahead of us must have riled him up.
4) Gators... You have never lived until you have canoed or kayaked the remote areas of Okefenokee Swamp in the spring. This was 2 years ago. There were so many gators in mating moods that they weren't scared of anything. I accidentally hit one with a paddle that happened to be resting under where the canoe went. Your heart really beats when a 6 foot muscle explodes out from under the 1.5 feet of water your canoe is in. That same thing happened to my mother-in-law as well. And we got hissed at and grunted at perhaps 2 dozen times, in the tight areas where you can't avoid them. Also that trip we encountered jumping pickerels about 6 inches long that when you touched that paddle to the black water, they would jump several feet in any direction at random. We probably tossed 30 of them back into the water after they wound up in our canoes and kayaks. A few frogs did that too. Inevitably, when we got to our camp site and unpacked the crafts, there would be some dead pickerels under all the gear.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:20 AM

Default timber rattlesnake picture

I posted earlier about seeing a timber rattler sunning himself on a gravel road in the Ozark National Scenic Riverways last weekend. Have my pictures developed and wanted to post it on here. Is that even possible? Cant figure out how to do it.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moflyer3 View Post
I posted earlier about seeing a timber rattler sunning himself on a gravel road in the Ozark National Scenic Riverways last weekend. Have my pictures developed and wanted to post it on here. Is that even possible? Cant figure out how to do it.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ead.php?t=8456

That thread gives some tips on how to post pics.

Jeff
Old 07-27-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Timber Rattler

Looked a lot bigger in person, believe me. Guess I should have gotten closer to him to take the picture.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...k/snake2-1.jpg
Old 07-27-2007, 10:39 PM

that rattler looks way bigger in the picture than i want to run into to. yikes
Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 PM

Have played and fishing in the park since I was about 2.....that would be for 58 years.....I can count the number of snakes I have seen on less fingers than I was born with....two incidents come to mind and both were on Tremont...was fishing by myself one afternoon below the end of the road and was working my way along a ledge on the edge of a wall in about 2 feet of water....happened to look down and there was a snake between my feet looking up at me....only worry was if he tried to swim up one of my pants legs...other incident was high up Lynn Camp Prong....was leading the way thru some high grass when my best friend in HS said snake in such a way that I knew it wasn't any old snake....looked behing me and realized that I had just walked over a 4 ft. timber rattler stretched out across the trail....on the way out came across the largest copperhead I have yet to see in the park right in the same place.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:41 PM

Fortunately in the park, all have been non-poisonous.

In Florida, I really don't want to think much about it any more(one occasion, nose to nose with a 6'+ rattler while trying to crawl under a thick Brazilain pepper forest to reach a saltwater embayment).

8' foot indigo snake parting 4' tall grass and coming right at you will get the thumper going pretty good.

Gator experiences while wading in the Indian River Lagoon. Walking through a large bay head, a friend and I decided to crawl on a mound to get out of the thigh deep water. When we got to the top we realized the mound was the result of gator nest digging.

Reese

"..he walks in quiet solitude the forests and the streams
Seeking grace in every step he takes.."