Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-23-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Help.

I am new to the forum and new to fly fishing and was looking for some advice. I know there are good areas around Knoxville to fish, like I hear the Clinch around the weir dam, but I do not know how to get there. If anyone could give me some good spots for me to start out with directions on how to get there I would appreciate it. Also any tips or advice on how to fish the place would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ben.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:54 PM

Ben,

One of the best things you could do for information is buy a copy of Ian Rutter's book "Blue Ribbon Fly Fishing Guide to Tennessee Trout Waters". Most fly shops and some retail bookstores carry it.

It is well worth the money. It has directions and advice on fishing tailwaters as well as the more popular freestone streams. There is a wealth of info in this book.

Anything that book does not answer for you, I'm sure you can get more help from the good people on this forum.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:58 PM

There's also Don Kirk's Fly Fishing Guide to The Great Smoky Mountains and Jimmy Jacob's Tailwater Trout and Trout Streams of Appalachia as well as Lawrence's book . Do a google search on books flyfishing Smokies and you'll see.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:23 PM

I would also seriously consider going with a guide. You'll learn a lot in a short time that would otherwise take several trips to figure out on your own.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE

The 61 bridge in clinton is a good place to fish. It is next to Hammers and behind the jail. Park at the church and there are many access points from the church.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I think I actually flipped threw "Blue Ribbon Fly Fishing Guide to Tennessee Trout Waters" at a store the other day. I will have to go back and get it. Thanks again for the help I am sure I will have plenty of questions for ya'll.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:57 PM

Default bccunnin1

BC,
I will echo ijsouth's advice about hiring a guide. Learn to handle your rod decently first, just so you can cast fairly well. Spending a day with a guide will shorten your learning curve exponentially. Little River has a great beginners school as well, I see the window above to the left.
My wife and son took it in June and really enjoyed it, I had a hard time with all of the stuff they said I was doing wrong after that though.
Best,
John