Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-24-2007, 11:14 PM

Default it's true, now i'm a fly 'fisher'man

that's right. im no longer just a fly-casterman. i headed to cosby creek monday evening after work since it only takes me thirty minutes to get there and i thought the water may be up a little with the rain from the weekend and a thirty minute storm that came through dandridge. this was my third time fly fishing in the park. i parked in the hikers parking lot and hiked down to the creek and fished the first small pool i found. immediately i watched a small bow come up and take a shot at my EHC, but like a lot of other hits i've had, i didnt get a hook set and i just spooked any fish living in that hole. i continued that pattern for about fourty-five minutes as i hiked my way upstream fishing the pools and riffles and missing about 6 or 7 more bites. finally, i snuck up on a pool in my most extreme stealth mode sneakiness and made a cast into some riffles coming into a pool. as soon as my fly came out of the riffles and into the slower pool water, BAM, i see a small brookie dart from the bottom and grab my fly. i set the hook and felt a fight. i was thrilled. i got the fish to hand and was almost shaking from the excitement of catching my first wild trout, and my first brook trout in general. here is a picture of the brookie, the camera isn't the best so its a little blurry.

soon after this fish, i began hearing a lot of thunder and decided to head back down towards my car. when i got there, the storm had moved on and only dropped a little rain, so i decided to walk down the road and fish up the stream to my car again for rainbows. after around thirty minutes with no bites at all, i made a second cast into another riffle/pool section and had a fish hit and run with my fly again, i set the hook and was really surprised with the strength this fish had and what it feels like on a fly rod. i got this bow to hand, snapped picture and set him go.

i hope i can get back to the park soon. next time i go it will probably be to greenbriar. im in ky right now and i leaving for panama city on friday for a week. so my nearest chance may be on thursday depending when i get home from here.

i want to thank all the members of the board who have welcomed me as newcomer to the board and the to the sport of fly fishing. i've learned pretty much all i know about fly fishing from reading and searching new and old forum topics on here and asking questions. you've been very helpful and quick to offer advice. so thanks again for all your help and for getting me addicted to a lifetime hobby.

-ben
Old 07-24-2007, 11:39 PM

Congratulations...I was in your shoes about a year ago this time - amazing how much I've learned in that year, and how much more I need to learn.

Cosby is probably my favorite stream. When I fished it last month, it was so low in the area you were fishing, I decided to give it a rest until it got some more water. Hans reported the other day that the levels looked ok, and now you're reporting the same...let me ask you, that section right by the hiker's parking area, the stream splits; back in June, the channel nearest to the parking lot was almost completely dry - is it flowing now? I check the radar every day, and the storm totals for the day, and it looks like that area has been getting some water, which is good to know.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:05 AM

ijsouth, i believe i actually fished that first break off. i did fish some break off thinking it was the main channel as soon as i got there. i got to where they verged and noticed it wasnt the main channel and walked down the main side to another hole. i dont recall seeing any of the splits dried up. the water was low for sure, but with the rain last weekend and a pretty good soaker that came through the area only a couple hours before i got there helped i think although the water wasnt stained.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:14 AM

Thumbs up

Congrats on your first trout milligan..!!! You will always remember that one.. Really kewl that your number one was a brookie..!!!

Marmot

Last edited by Marmot; 07-25-2007 at 01:30 AM..
Old 07-25-2007, 12:43 AM

Thanks...back in June, all I could think was "a bunch of pools where I caught trout in April are dry"...I was really concerned for the fish; when they get trapped in isolated pools like that, they are easy marks for predators, and fishing them makes them that much more vulnerable. I started my trout adventures up in SNP in Virginia - that park doesn't get near the rain that GSMNP gets, and it isn't unusual for some of the smaller streams to run completely dry. Sounds like it's still low, but a lot healthier. It's never going to have the volume of bigger streams, like the Middle Prong of Little River, but that's ok. It also probably isn't the best choice to catch a big fish, but that's fine too - it's by far the most accessible stream for brookies in the park. Accessible in terms of driving/hiking that is...it certainly is a tight stream, but I like that too - reminds me of my wasted youth, slogging through swamps looking for the next hot spot.

The good thing about Cosby is, the extreme lower section, right before it leaves the park, seems like it always has a fair amount of water - even back in June. There aren't any brookies in that section, but there are some decent bows there - I spooked one that looked to be at least a foot long last month. Another good thing - it doesn't seem to get a lot of attention; every time I've fished it, I (and my girls) were the only ones fishing it - the hikers outnumbered us at least 15-1.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:56 AM

congrats! you'll never forget that fish. it's like a first kiss. I know how it is. I fished for 2 weeks straight, and I mean 14 consecutive days before I caught my first. you'll hopefully have many other firsts ... like first fish on a fly you tied, but none will be as special as the one you just caught (except when you catch some big hogs ... those will be pretty memorable.

another thing is once you catch that first, you break the confidence barrier. now you'll probably start catching 'em like crazy!
Old 07-25-2007, 12:13 PM

Congratulations on your first! I'm still trying to get my first. I've had a few "almost gots" but so far I have not got one landed and in hand yet. I've got to work on my hook setting. I'm addicted already though!
Old 07-25-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Congratulations and Stick with it!

MTD and Fishnlady,
Congratulations to you MTD and Fishnlady stick with it, if you're getting rises it is only a matter of time. Put your fly on or beside the current seams and you will get rises. Work on getting a dead drift with your mayflies (not so critical with the caddis).
Best,
John
Old 07-25-2007, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the advice Jswitow. I'll work on that too. My husband has caught some already and he just started FF the same time I did. He caught a couple of rainbows and a brown at Elkmont recently and 2 more at Cosby creek Sunday.
He's always been much luckier and skilled at fishing than me though. Haha. But I'll catch up with him!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:39 PM

ijsouth, i know what you're talking about with the lower portion having more water. i acutally hiked down the road from the hikers parking lot and began fishing where a stream feeds into cosby creek and runs under the road. its a small stream but seems fishable. i imagined it was the same creek that produced hen hollow falls b/c i noticed trail signs about the falls not far from where it crossed. do you know what steam that is? i need to get a stream map somewhere, i bought a trail map after i fished at the registration hut at cosby.

i say this was only my third time fly fishing, but my other two times have been pretty extended trips. one being around 8 hours, and the other being last saturday for about 11 hours. i didnt catch a thing, but had a blast hiking part of lynn camp, thunderhead, and the middle prong. i actually hooked two that trip, one bow, and one i believe was a brown that followed my prince nymph out from under a huge bolder i cast under on thunderhead. it was very golden in the water, thats why i assumed it was a brown, and its location under the rock. i also fished four or five times for blue gill on douglas and cherokee lake working on my hook sets. they were a lot of fun too, and not very hard to catch.