Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 07-25-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Winston Fly Rods

All -
I'm considering a new rod and have liked the Winston WT that I've cast and the 8'6" 5 wt seems to be universally liked.

However, I also like the travel rods and noticed the LT 8'9" 5 weight.

What are the differences in action between these two rods? Is the LT as smooth as the WT? I do like fairly soft action rods.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-25-2007, 08:29 PM

Check with these folks:

http://www.winstonrods.com/forum/

That bunch of Winston nuts ought to be able to give you an opinionated but experienced answer to your question.

AA
Old 07-25-2007, 11:28 PM

Thanks. I registered on the Winston Forum, but the admin has to approve the registration and send some note back with the confirmation. I'm waiting on the confirmation so that I can post my question.

Bottom-line, the rods I'm looking at are

Orvis Superfine Trout Bum series
Scott G2
Winston WT (and perhaps the LT because I like 4 & 5 piece rods).
Winston BIIt

I so not like the really fast action rods and these three seem to be the action I like.

I'm kind of partial to 8' to 8'6" 5 weight as well. I know for example Scott is 8'4" but what's 2" amont friends :-)

I've just never cast a Winston LT, and in fact, do not remember ever even seeing one in a shop and was curious about them.

Really, any opinions on these rods is welcome. LRO does not carrry Scott (according to the web site) so it may not be wise to discuss that line too much.

Jeff

Jeff
Old 07-26-2007, 04:59 PM

I cast the Winston LT 4wt 8'3" a couple of weeks ago and it felt a little faster than I liked. I also cast the TFO 4wt 8'9" finesse series and it felt just right.The fact that it was 500.00 less in price was nice also. I have an older Sage Light Line series that I have fished the mountains with for years and wanted something in a 4 (pc) travel type rod with a little more length and the TFO was perfect. I got it about 3 weeks ago at LRO and have only gotten to use it a couple of time but it feels great.If you have not made up your mind yet you should give them a try.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:14 PM

You might want to try the Winston BIIt 8'6" 5wt 4 pc. rod. It would be more of a true medium action rod and light as a feather. It will be perhaps alittle less "progressive" of a taper as the WT 865-3pc. If you really want to cast a fine "slow" graphite, you ought to try my TT Paradigm 905-3...smoothness to the core!

AA
Old 07-26-2007, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.

I've never cast the BIIt but want to before making up my mind. From what I've read, they are similar to the WT but lighter and maybe just a little stiffer in the action.

Whenever someone asks me about guitars, I tell them to go paly as many as they can and pick the one that sounds best to them. I suppose fly rods are much the same thing. Cast a bunch and pick the one that feels best.

The hunt is on. Unortunately, there is only one shop close to me. He's a Sage and Scott shop. LRO is about 5 hours away and the next closest shop is about 3 hours away. I shop at LRO whenever I'm in town and would have absolutely no issue buying from them on line. It's an outstanding shop. I'm just somewhat hesitant to drop that kind of money on a rod and end up not liking it. I think I'll have to cast some first.

I'll be in Townsend Labor Day weekend fishing, but would really like to have a new rod in hand before then to break it in on some Smokey Mountain trout.

Jeff
Old 07-27-2007, 08:10 PM

I own Winston LT's, Scott G's, TFO Pro Series, and various bamboo rods. I also own several Sage rods including the XP's, SP's and the LL's. My go-to rod for the smokies is a Sage Light Line 8'9" 3wt. They originally were made as a 2 piece rod but a couple of years ago they came out with a "Classic" reissue in a 4 piece rod. It is my favorite rod for the Smokies. The only reason I would ever trade it is if someone made a 9', 4 piece, 3wt in a slow to moderate action. I have begged Scott to make one in their G series, but to no avail. The LT is an absolutely gorgeous looking rod with an awesome casting feel, but for my tastes it's a little fast for an all around rod in the Smokies. I like a slower rod because I am rarely casting line, mainly leader, and a slower rod is easier to load. But I own LT's in 6'9", 7'9", and 8'9" in 3, 4 and 5wts. so obviously I love the rods. Talk to LRO because I believe they are now a Sage dealer and they may be able to get the LL "Classic" rod. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-02-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Winston LT / WT

Jeff,

you answered your own question when you made your guitar response. That said, I'll offer the following:

I have pared my fly rods down to about 15, from a high that was plain certifiable. I own a 6'9" 3 wt, 8'3" 4 wt., and 8'9" 5 wt in Winston LT. I also have a few BIIX, and about 3 older IM 6 's. Bottom line - the 5 piece rods are the LAST ones I'll ever get rid of. I use them almost extensively. Because I live in IL, I have to travel to find trout, and the ease of traveling (or backpacking) with a 5 pc. rod can't be overstated. I happen to think they cast beautifully, too. Every year I find myself taking a rod on a trip that hasn't seen the water for a few years - this spring it was a 2 pc. Winston TMF, which is actually my favorite rod of all time. BUT - the ease of the 5 pc. in traveling is too much to overcome. I can't say enough about the LT's - I love them.

To answer one of your questions, though - I don't believe there is ANY noticable difference in the cast or continuity of the flex on a rod with internal spigot ferrules (LT's, WT's) . If you hang a deflection weight off the tip of one, you'll see NO flat spots on the rod - just a continuous curve. This is much more difficult , if not impossible to achieve with overwrap ferules.

If you like the way they cast, you won't regret your decision to get one.

Joe