Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-26-2007, 02:21 PM

I planned on coming down Deep Creek trail where it connects to 441. Looking at my map that trail follows the creek almost 3/4 of the way. Sunday I plan on hiking down to 54 or 55 and fishing my way back up if the fishing isnt any good above 53. Does this not sound like a good plan? Do you think the water will be too low or something else?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Camping Trips

Coming down Deep Creek from Newfound Gap isn't too bad, getting out is another story.......... especially if you are carrying much of a pack. I am thinking you will lose/gain ~2,800 feet each way. Deep Creek is a good one though, lots of browns.
Hazel is another possibility. You can take a ride across from Fontana Village Marina. The last time I made the trip, it cost $ 27.00 per person. You can camp right at Proctor within a 1/4 mile of the landing. You can hike further if you want up to the Sawdust Pile or Bone Valley Campsites (~3.5 & 4 miles) miles. Sorry don't remember the campsite numbers. Hazel is a beautiful creek and a fair amount of bug activity as well. Both trails from the bottom are old rail grades (no more than 5%).
Let us hear where you went, and how you did. It has been too many years since I did any backpack camping. Another couple of years and my son will be old enough, hope he has some interest.......... and I have the legs.
Have fun ............ take some black cats or some book type fire-crackers. They will do wonders for bear removal if they become a nuisance!
Best,
John
Old 07-26-2007, 03:40 PM

I've never done it, but I hear coming down to Deep Creek from 441 is a real bear. I've heard going back up, you've got 4 points of contact in some places. Keep in mind too that on a map a trail may look like it's next to the creek, and it may be - but it's 100 feet straight down. Again - no first hand experience - just what I've heard.

Most folks go in from the bottom, camp at one of the lower elevation sites, and fish/day hike to the upper reaches. Guess it depends on whether or not you have the time for a half-day hike in and out.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:10 PM

i have never been and this may sound like a pretty stupid question but is dep creek really deep, is it more of a typical smokies stream, or is it deep at the bottom and smaller at the top? (is there a good brookie population there)
Old 07-26-2007, 04:34 PM

Ok so does anyone have any first hand experience coming down from 441 to campsite 53 and how fishable is the water there?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:04 PM

I've got a book in Bryson City that tells how places in the Smokies got their names, but I can't recall anything about Deep Creek. To answer your question, it's no deeper than any other creek. And like most of them, it's wider at the bottom and gets narrower as you go upstream. Again, I've never been there but I would think once you get to 53 and upstream, you should be able to snag a brookie or two. 53 is at 3,000 which is about the magic number for brookies to survive.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:36 PM

Default Campsite #53

I don't have any first-hand knowledge either, but according to "Hiking Trails of the Smokies" from the Road down to #53 you will lose about 1750', which of course you would have to make up on the way out. But across 3.9 miles that isn't too terrible of a gradient (Although the last 1.2miles look steep - 800'+).

According to the book, #53 is right on the stream and in a pretty setting, but heavily used and rather unappealing (whatever that means). #54 is away from the stream and is another 2.5 miles further. Unfortunately #54 is closed due to Bear activity. #55 is a rationed site and is 7.4 miles from Newfound Gap Rd.

It sounds like #53 will be your best option. And if the water is too low, you could hike down a bit and fish your way back up to it. At about 4.7miles the trail moves about 200' above the stream but rejoins it a little ways down further (less than .5miles?), but other than that the trail seems to more or less closely follow the stream, once it joins it (at around 1.1miles from the road).

According to Don Kirk's book, you should see Brookies above 3600', so the first mile after you reach the creek (at roughly 4000' elevation), may be your best bet for Specs.

Make sure you keep an eye on the weather, it looks like we may get at least an inch of rain over the weekend. It also, looks like the NC side of the park has had less rain than the TN side, this past week.

Let us know how it goes. The more I look at it, the more I want to give it a go, as well.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:26 AM

We have hiked down a couple of times but it was a long time back. It is steep, like all the trails going down from from the big ridge. We never hiked back up. We shuttled from Deep Creek campground. It is a pretty fast walk down to 53. The book is right about 53 being worn. It is not very large and you can tell that it has been used a lot. The only bad thing I remember about the trail is the stinging nettle. It grew tall and thick in places along the trail. DO NOT TOUCH! It is a beautiful drainage though. It is s good hike even if you don't fish.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:39 PM

it sounds like the 53 area is what i am looking for, but if the campsite is worn could i just hike up and set up a tent somewhere, or is it designated camping only
Old 07-27-2007, 05:46 PM

i will definitely let yall know how it goes though