Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-27-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Lessons Learned FF in the Smokies

Well, I have been fly fishing now for all of three months. As I was fishing in the Smokies today, my mind drifted to the important lessons I had learned in my first three months (amazing how my mind almost never drifts to work or chores or my checkbook). So here is a compilation of the lessons I have learned so far:
  1. I have learned that if I am in a stretch of river with 20 trout and one submerged twig, I am most likely to catch the twig.
  2. I have learned that while wearing my Cocoons polarized sun glasses (just like Walter Babb wears according to Daniel), I can see a whole new world under the water. Funny, though, they don't make me fish like Walter Babb - he clearly sees the next fish he's going to catch while I see fish fleeing my leader as it races to beat my fly downstream.
  3. I have learned that if you come to one of those magical pools where you catch a fish on the first cast, chances are good that there are more fish in the same pool waiting to be caught. However, if after catching the first one, you jump up and down, splashing in the water and squealing like a teenage girl at a Justin Timberlake concert, you might as well move on upstream and look for that next magical pool.
  4. I have learned that while moving up to that next magical pool, you should maintain control of your fly at all times or it's likely to hook up with something you don't want it to. Turns out this is a good life lesson as well.
  5. I have learned that fly fisherpersons can talk fly fishing for hours on end and never get tired of it much to the annoyance of non-fishing spouses and acquaintenances.
  6. I have learned that I would trade one brookie for any three rainbows. Well, maybe two rainbows. There's just something special about them.
  7. I have learned that while I will most likely catch lots of brookies over the rest of my lifetime, I would give anything to have had a camera there to take a picture of my first one.
  8. I have learned that fishing with a buddy (in my case, my son) is great fellowship, allows you to share those moments when the fly beats the leader downstream and you actually catch a trout and is a good idea from a safety standpoint. I have also learned that if you fish alone, nothing beats the solitude, the chance to find yourself and the opportunity to jump up and down, splash in the water and squeal like a teenage girl at a Justin Timberlake concert if you want to.
I'm sure I will learn much more as I go along, but this catches me up so far.

See you guys on the river!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 07-27-2007, 10:54 PM

i've learned that i've been missing out for 19 years no fly fishing, and i couldnt be happier tha i've started now.

i've learned that there are very few feelings like catching your first trout on a fly rod.

i've learned that half the fun of fly fishing is being outdoors and exploring small streams. i'd have a blast just hiking up streams throwing flies in the water even if there were no fish there if i thought there might be a chance of catching something.

i've learned that even the most stable of rocks will send you sliding down to really cold water.

and finally,

i've learned that i've got many more trips to the smokies to make until i cant physically fish anymore.

ben
Old 07-28-2007, 02:28 PM

I have only been once for a couple of days but this is what gleaned :

You have not practiced enough.

I am not good enough to compete in "used" water, did much better in water that was difficult(less fished) to get to.

I am also not good enough to fish difficult water, it may have fish but that does you no good if you can't get your line in there without disturbing them. Don't waste your time, move on to water easier to cast to or drift.

Don't be a-feared to break the "rules". Example, if you have to float it downstream to hit a spot, go for it, the trout don't read the "rules".

Cheap gear will still catch fish.

Get a magnifying lens of some sort, them little lines are hard to tie when you can't see them.

Fish are fish, remember what you have learned about other kinds, most of it still applies.

Get some sleep, eat well, and go easy on the celebratory booze, this stuff is work.

Slow down, calm down, and look behind and above you before you cast.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Slow down, calm down, and look behind and above you before you cast.
I hear you on that. I don't know how many flies I tangled up on the Little River, but it was enough to make me want to take up fly tying over the winter.

Jeff
Old 07-29-2007, 07:14 PM

Default reply

I learned that a cane rod built by Walter---makes the fishing and the Smokies even better--cane is not like graphite--it lived at one time--I think fishing with a good cane rod gets you closer to the way fly fishing is supposed to be---graphite is plastic--cane is cane--give it a try