Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-29-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Silver Creek / Henry's Fork suggestions

Heading to Idaho later part of August. Has anyone fished the Silver Creek and or Henry's Fork and have suggestions or "things you would do different, or again" given the chance?

BTW. I am tying foam hoppers #10-12, X-caddis, Neversinks in yellow, orange, and tan, PMD/Sulphurs, and a smorgasboard of nymphs, mostly caddis and mayflies. Any suggestions on flies as well would be appreciated.

Flat Fly'n
Old 07-29-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Henry's Fork

Check out the Henry's Fork Anglers web site for river conditions and flies which are working.
Hope you have a great time. Give us a report when you return.
irfishing
Old 07-29-2007, 01:14 PM

Hi Flat,

I just talked to Frank, my best buddy for fifty years. He just got back from a family vacation but managed to get in a one day float down the box canyon with his daughter. He said the fishing was great. He was using the same nymphs he uses around here and caught a lot of 18"+ trout. Odd thing, the guides wade through that section all day and hold the boat for you because the current is so swift that rowing isn't possible. They charge $450 per day for that service. I guess they earn it.

Have a great trip.

Byron
Old 07-30-2007, 11:03 AM

Silver Creek
1. If you fish the Nature Con. section you must register at the cabin.
2. You will be wading belly deep in cold water, you will need fleece under your waders.
3. Tricos and betis, size 22 to 18, fished with long DOWNstream drifts with 9' to 12' 6X leaders.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:09 PM

thanks.

I fortunately have the body for big water........6'6" (big, and bouyant as a "friend" told me).

I am tying Tricos right now in #20. Duns and spinners. I might need a corneal transplant after I am DUN though.

Thanks for the info. Did you happen to run across "Pink Albert" when you fished there?

Flat Fly'n
Old 07-31-2007, 11:28 AM

Yes, to the "Pink Albert", but not on Silver Creek. Pinks are a major hatch on the South Fork of the Boise, about 1.5 hours west of Siver Creek. I have heard of a few throwing Pinks on Silver Creek but not anything like the SF Boise.

My son and his family live in Boise, I get there 2 or 3 times a year and have fished about 1/3 of the Idaho rivers on my short list. I have just fished Silver Creek twice, first time with a guide from Idaho Angling in Picabo. Will be in West Yellostone 8/30 til 9/3...hoping to get over to Henry's Fork then.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:31 AM

Default Logistics

LittleRiverMike,
Can I pick your brain for a second on rivers and time.

we are thinking about fishing in this order/day. Flying into Boise by the way, with 5 days to fish.

S. Fork Boise below Anderson Dam
Silver Creek
Big Wood River
and then bugging out for Henry's Fork for the last 2 days, then back to Boise.

Is this possible? Base out of Ketchum/Mountain Home/Twin Falls?

Thank you again for any info on this trip.

Flat Fly'n
Old 08-01-2007, 08:12 AM

SF Boise is tailwater with close to constant release. Guides are not allowed on the river. Access is excellent with half floating private boats and half wading. Large browns and rainbows.

Silver Creek is a classic spring creek, deep, cold, little structure, a lot of underwater grass. Guides are everywhere on Silver Creek but pricey. Boats not allowed but some sections open to float tubes. Larger browns and bows but very educated.

Big Wood is a classic freestone river, guides available at the Ketchum shops, (Silver Creek, Lost river and other shops on Main street). Runs through Ketchum, Hailey and Bellevue, a lot in private property but access points can be found. Fish are smaller than the other two here.

Consider the Owyhee in Oregon. It is tailwater 1.5 hours west of Boise and famous for big browns.

E-mail me at mbates@southerntitletn.com for more info. Mike
Old 08-01-2007, 01:36 PM

I spent a summer in Ketchum many years ago and fished the Conservancy property quite a bit. It's been a long time but as I recall August on Silver Creek was mainly tricos, baetis, and calibaetis. Terrestrials and damsel flies later on. The Wood is a big free stone and will be much more forgiving. Have fun. I need to go back out there.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:08 PM

Float the Box Canyon part of the Henry's Fork if you get a chance. The fish are huge, the water is fast, and the the scenery is amazing. When I think of that area, I really wish I lived there instead of Nashville.

Good Luck