Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-29-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Michigan

I am loosely considering a trip to Michigan next spring. Anyone who knows anything about Michigan probably can figure out which Hatch I'm after. Anyways, anyone with info about do's or dont's please pitch in. I'm probably going to fly to Traverse city and go from there in a rental car. I'm planning on late May early June and I'm only going to have three days of fishing (full days).

I am grateful for any info. I know of all the online sources and I have all the print media info. I'm looking rather for more of a hands on advice from someone other than a professional. I don't have anything against a professional but I'm looking for somewhat different takes if that makes sense.

Thanks beforehand.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:40 AM

hey Hans......

this is one of Byron's buddys........check it out

www.gateslodge.com

been wanting to get up there but haven't yet and it is only a 4 1/2 to 5 hr drive.......maybe next year

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 07-30-2007, 08:35 AM

Buckeyetrouter!

Thanks, I have read about that place before. It looks like a nice place.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:54 AM

I am from MI and can not help but question the time of the year you are thinking about fishing, and fishing for what?

The best fishing I could find was the flies only on the PM or the Little Man. I would strongly suggest calling Baldwin Bait and Tackle and visit their website at www.fishbaldwin.com. Be carefull, most highly suggested waters hold their value for drift boat fishing not wading as the PM and Little Manistee are known for. Also, most MI trout fishing is highly dependant on their hatches.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2007, 11:57 AM

Jim!

My bad, I meant late June early July. Sorry, will this clear things up?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:42 PM

Much better! "BIG BROWNS" on "BIG DRY FLIES". This is mostly a night time thing. My 2 best friends fished several times a couple of weeks ago for the Hex hatch and had very mixed results. You can not schedule this and the best way get the timing correct is via internet forums or call the local sites. Go to fishbaldwin.com and check out the (I forgot what it is actually called) fishing reports by the dates you are thinking about from this year from the home page to see what you are in for.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:47 PM

I almost forgot. This type of fishing will require scouting an area during the day and I would highly recommend a guide - more so than any type of fly fishing I have done so far. Make sure this is the type of fishing the guide prefers and not something he "can do". From first hand experience, call Steve at BB&T Baldwin Bait and Tackle
Old 07-30-2007, 01:43 PM

Hans,

I would contact Rusty Gates at Gates Au Sable Lodge. Like buckeyetrouter said he is a friend of mine. The Au Sable River in Grayling is wonderful. He also has guides or just information if you want to fish the river alone. He has a nice fly shop and he spent his whole life fishing and hunting grouse in the area. We also recommend Chuck Scribner in Manistee, Michigan. He is a guide, not a fly shop. If it hasn't changed his e-mail is scribneroutfitters@earthlink.net or call him at 231-723-6193. Chuck and Linda are fine folks. If you call Rusty or Chuck tell them I sent you. Wish I were going. I've never fished the Hex Hatch. See you buddy.

Jim, I've been in Baldwin Bait and Tackle several times. They are great folks as well. It's a cool store too.

Byron
Old 07-30-2007, 02:05 PM

Byron, many thanks for your info. I used to live in Michigan for about a year and a half in the early nineties before we settled in TN. I lived on the Muskegon river. I didn't fly fish up there though, I was too busy trying to make a living. Anyway, I was thinking about staying at the Gates Lodge if at all possible. I'm very familiar with Michigan from a traveler's standpoint. I have even been to the UP. I just regret I didn't fish while I was there. My main reason for the post is to figure out which river to be on. I'm hoping to fish the Boardman around Traverse City, The Au Sable as well as Little Manistee and the main Manistee. I'm even considering staying for a full five days. It all depends on my bank account at the end of next spring Ha Ha.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:06 PM

Hans,

Gates Lodge from what I remember is reasonable but worth a lot more than they charge. You will be right on the river. Julie Gates is a chef, I'm not kidding. She runs the small restaurant and the food is exceptional. She and Rusty were here in February. They were just driving around the South checking out restaurants including Paula Dean's in Savannah. The lodge is not fancy but sparkling clean. They have wader racks outside each room. It is one of my favorite places to stay on a fishing trip.

Byron