Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-29-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Fishing in the Upstate of SC

I'm fairly new to Upstate SC and totally new to fly fishing. I've taken the beginners class at LRO and will fish whenever possible in the GSMNP. Can anyone suggest good trout fishing spots a little closer to home?

Thanks,
Norm
Old 07-29-2007, 09:28 PM

I've never fished there, but there are a few books out that might point you in the right direction. I have "Trout Streams of Southern Appalachia" by Jimmy Jacobs; he covers some streams in the extreme northwestern corner of South Carolina. It's a good book, but he tends to shy away from any water that would be considered "tight", so I think he emphasizes the bigger streams.

I wouldn't shy away from the streams just over the border in North Carolina, either...an out of state N.C. license is cheap - it's the one I have to fish the park.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:02 PM

Thanks. I've got the NC license for the park too, but need to figure out where those streams just over the border are. I'm gonna call a few outfitters tomorrow for some more suggestions.

I see you're from Covington. I graduated from St. Paul's in '80' and was living in Mandeville before we moved to SC. Do you come up this way often?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Trouthunter,

I live in the upstate myself. I do most of my fly-fishing in western N.C or eastern T.N.. However, if I'm short on time I will occasionally hit the middle saluda river in Jones Gap state park. It's a small stream, but has quite a few rainbows, and if you hike far enough up, there is brookies, but I have never gone that far. I have been meaning to fish Matthews creek for a long time, but have never gotten around to it. Also is the Eastotoe river, which is supposed to have some decent fishing from what I have heard. Sorry I don't have lots of info for you, but there are definitely a few options for catching trout close to home in the upstate. I have found that all the usual flies work just fine.

Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions. I try to help as much as I can.

Matt
Old 07-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the response. Are the places you go in western NC very far? I have been looking around online for places to go when I don't have a lot of time. I found some info about the Chattooga river above the SC28 bridge. Page 4 of this article http://www.scgameandfish.com/fishing..._02/index.html talks about brown trout up to 20 inches. This article http://www.byrdultrafly.com/scstock03.htm is old but briefly mentions the same areas. If you don't mind, look over those and let me know what you think.

Where are you in the upstate? It'd be great to talk about fishing with you sometime?

I'm sure glad this message board is here cause there's no one in my current circle of friends and family that share my interest in fishing.

Thanks,
Norm
Old 07-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Norm,

I'm in Greenville. I guess I should have asked you earlier what type fi fishing your most interested in. Do you want to catch wild fish, or are you looking for stocked fish? All the streams I mentioned to you in S.C. in my previous post are wild fish streams. They all have good fishing, but you want get into any 20" fish in them.

I have never fished the Chattooga, but everything I have heard about it has been good. If your anywhere near Greenville, I can give you the location of a fly shop that does a lot of fishing on the Chattooga. If you went in there, I'm sure the 2 guys that run it could give you tons of help/advice for fishing that river.

I fish a lot on the Davidson and Avery creek in N.C. Its only about and hour and 15 min. drive for me to get to these streams from Greenville. The Davidson can get really crowded b/c it has a lot of big fish. Avery creek on the other hand is a small stream, with lots or rainbows and browns in the 5-8" range. I fish Avery a lot, b/c hardly anyone fishes it. If your willing to drive a little farther, there is tons of good water within 2 hours of Greenville in N.C.

If I had to fish in S.C., I would start with Jones Gap state park, or I would go to Matthews creek. Both of these are within 45 minutes of Greenville and have lots of wild rainbows.

Keep the questions coming, I'll try to help as much as I can. Mayve sometime we could get together and I could show you one of the above mentioned streams sometime. Just keep in mind that I'm only an average fly fisherman.

Matt
Old 07-30-2007, 07:58 PM

Matt,
I'm in Simpsonville near Five Forks. I'm interested mainly in wild fish. That Game and Fish article says you'll find a mix of wild and stocked below the SC28 bridge and mostly wild browns above it on the Chattooga, so I'll check on that some more.

Is the shop you mentioned Foothills on Pleasantburg?

I'm going to head up to Jones Gap and see if I can find the stream you mentioned.

Average fly fisherman?!?!........ Being from South Louisiana, I've fished for big Saltwater Specs and Reds with live bait many times (fun stuff), but this is a whole new game. Heck I've never wet the line on my new fly rod yet! Can't wait!

Thanks for the info and I'll be in touch,
Norm
Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 PM

Norm,

I live near Foothills on pleasantburg. The shop I would recommend is D.K. Littleton Outfitters on Augusta Rd. One of the guys that works there is named spider. Everytime I'm in there he talks about the fishing on the chattooga. I'm sure he would be a great resource for you to get more info.

As for Jones Gap: Go up HWY 25, just before you get into N.C. you will see a sign for Jones Gap, and a road that turns off to the left. Turn left there, go until you get to the dead end, and take another right and that road will take you into the entrance of the park. There is a fee to get in(I think about $2). Park in the lot, and walk upstream. Just above the parking lot is a foot bridge, upstream of the bridge is open year round under normal regs. Downstream of the bridge is special regs, only open monday, wed. and saturday with a limit of 8 anglers. There is a drop box in the parking lot for the special regs section, on the 3 mornings its open the ranger puts the forms in the box. Its first come first serve, you have to fill out a form and drop it in the box and you can fish that section all day. They have a feeding program for the special regs section, so you will catch a little bit bigger fish. I just tend to stick to the stream above the foot bridge that is open everyday. Lots of raibows. I usually walk up past the big ranger house and then get in the water and start fishing. It's a really pretty stream, and it doesn't get a lot of fishing pressure which is nice. It's really easy to get to

I usually fish pheasant tails and prince nymphs, or stimulators for dries. The fish there aren't real picky. I haven't been up there this summer, so I'm not sure how much water is in the stream right now with the lack of rain we have had. Let me know what you think if you head up there.

Matt
Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the help! I'm going to visit D.K. Littleton early tomorrow then head up to Jones Gap to check it out.

Norm
Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 PM

SPS class of '84...wow, small world. I was in 8th grade there when you were a senior - talk about a totally different world back then. You wouldn't recognize the place - they've totally redone the gym; it's now the Gene Bennett sports complex. The facade of the main school building was redone. Of course, Dixon Hall is long gone - it burned down my sophomore year. Finally, they did away with borders - was probably costing them more in insurance than it was worth - don't know what they're going to do with the dorms.

As for getting up to the Smokies - I try to get up there as often as I can - with my kids out of school, we've been able to hop up there every few weeks. That will come to a crashing halt soon, unfortunately....I hate "back to school" almost as much as them.