Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-30-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Slickrock weekend

Myself and three friends fished the lower end of Slickrock creek this weekend. Boated in across Calderwood and stayed at a campsite just up from the lake. Heavy rains early Saturday morning blew the stream out as we were getting up. Two of us still managed a few fish, some on streamers and stimulators. The water got back to normal on Sunday but the fishing wasn't that productive. Still nice to be out, although it was so humid that I know I won't go back until it cools off. It's the first time I've been in Slickrock in about fifteen years. Highlight of the trip was the excellent cooking by our camp chef who struggled beyond expectations to get all the food and gear up the trail.

mstone
Old 08-01-2007, 06:14 PM

If you still caught a few fish then the fishing must have been good! I've fished it twice about 10 years ago and almost got skunked both times when the water was low. But gosh those are the prettiest browns anywhere.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:47 PM

I used to haunt slickrock back in the early 90's,awesome,but as moody as cataloochie or big creek!I first read about it in Harry Middleton's "On The Spine Of Time"while i was on dmz in Korea.It was as special as he said.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Slickrock

Slickrock is a beautiful little creek. Love the idea that it is all browns above the first big falls. There have been some monsters caught from there over the years. I think it gets fished alot more than it used to though. Really don't know first hand, now that I think about it, I haven't fished it since 1998! Need to get back there, need to get back in shape to haul a 50 lb pack across Yellerhammer gap!
Used to be a good creek for seeing skinny dippers too! You didn't run into Roth Comers Tewksbury back there did you, in his smoking jacket?
Best,
John
Old 08-06-2007, 04:33 PM

I had planned on fishing slickrock last friday but when I got to Tabcat Bridge (@ 5 am) on 129 the state had the road blocked due to a tractor trailor wreck. I could hear bikes going across at 1 pm from Chilhowee lake. I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about it and he reminded me again about all the 3 foot browns we saw swimming in there one day while we were turkey hunting over there. There are monsters in that river for sure.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Slickrock Creek

I have not seen any myself, but have heard of three over 34". That was years ago though. When did you all see those. I did hear about one caught in the first pool above the lake in October, it must have been a spawner. It was 37 or 38" and 14 lb. The fellow said he had to block it's path to the lake or it would have gone back there. He had it mounted (he said) and said it ultimately ended up hanging in the Crossroads of Time before the Motorcyclists took it over. It really used to feel like the Crossroads of Time, and I haven't lived here all that long.
Best,
John
Old 08-06-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Slickrock

Should have proofread that post. I meant to say I never saw the fish hanging in there, did anyone else? Not so sure I believed this guy. The other two were people I believed, one a retired ranger and the other a man who grew in Robbinsville who used to guide fisherman and hunters back there.
I may have to try a trip back there this fall, probably a day trip.
Best,
John
Old 08-06-2007, 06:13 PM

We were there about 5-6 years ago. We were just talking about "3 foot" fish. I'm not saying they were all 12 lbers but there were some really nice fish in there. All trophys in my book. Go over to Fontana marina and look at the picture board. You will see many lake runners over 10 lbs from Fontana, Cheoaha, and Calderwood. I just don't know how to catch them. YET.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Picture Board

I haven't been in the Marina dock since 2003 spring (I think). Must not have paid much attention. That is my favorite fishing season(s) fall and winter. I do alright catching them, most of it is big nymphs, heavily weighted or streamers on a sink-tip or sinking line. The creek I fish doesn't seem to get the browns like the creeks feeding Calderwood and Fontana though. I mostly catch Rainbows. I use a 6 weight most of the winter and hope for some strong flows...... along with a full moon ......... keep my fingers crossed and dont bathe for a month and stick with the hat that works. I'm not superstitious though........!
Best,
John