Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-31-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Road Prong

Good day to all.

I am going to try and fish the road prong today. I have read you can park at the chimney tops area and fish there but I have not fished this side of the smoky;s yet. I would like to catch my first Brook trout today if possible. If anyone has any info your help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone would like to join me I plan on getting to the park around 4:15pm. Thanks to all for your help.

Patrick
Old 07-31-2007, 09:09 AM

Rather than the Road Prong at such a late time, try starting at the trail head and fish up to where the road comes back to the stream....some nice water in there and a little more open.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:16 AM

Rog 1

What do mean by starting at the trail head? I have nerver been up ther before. Is there brookies in that section?

Thanks for your help

Patrick
Old 07-31-2007, 10:31 AM

Patrick, I posted a report in the Backcountry Forum about my trip to Road Prong on Sunday. I wouldn't recommend it by yourself, and especially starting at 4:15p. It would probably take you about 30 minutes or more to get to the bridge just before the Road Prong and Chimneys trails split. The canyon is pretty steep, so it would get dark earlier as well.

Your better option maybe to start just down the hill from the Chimney Tops trail and fish up from there. It's at 3500' elevation, so you should be able to start fishing for Brookies right away. If you start quickly you might be able to fish to the bridge crossing a bit upstream and get out there. I haven't fished that section, but it looked to be just as good as the section I fished above it.

You could also fish Walker Camp Prong for Brookies. Here is a great report from last year http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ead.php?t=6813

Good luck and let us know how its goes!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:41 AM

Pat,

I agree 100% with what Pete said. Thatís no place to fish alone. Also, 4:00PM is not the time to start that section.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Where is walker camp?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 11:40 AM

Walker Camp Prong runs along next to US441 (Newfound Gap Rd) between Newfound Gap and the Chimney Tops Trailhead. From what I've read, its best above the Alum Cave Trailhead.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:00 PM

The trail head I was talking is where the bridge crosses the stream on the way up to the chimneys....you can start fishing there and head upstream until you reach the road.....or, drive past the parking area for the Chimneys trailhead and drive up the mountain until you get back to the stream...this is Walkers Camp.....this is a nice stretch of water close to the road and you should start catching brookies right off...also have landed several nice rainbows in this area....good luck and let us know how you do.