Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-31-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Walker camp prong report

First I want to thank the guys who helped me with all the information today. I went to Walker camp Prong roday for the first time. I parked at the Alum Cave trail head and started fishing right off the trail. I landed an nice rainbow right past the bridge that crosses the creek for the alum trail. I work my way up stream catching quite a few Rainbows. I caught them on a yellow stim and a yellow para. I put on a green weenie and was catching a lot of fish. I was getting a little discouraged that I have not landed a Brookie yet. But it Happened my First BROOKIE. After I caught the first 95% of the rest of the fish I caught were brookies. They are a pretty fish. I started at 4:15 pm and got out of the creek around 7:00 pm. The creek is alot different then the one above tremont. I love fishing in the Smokies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy the pictures below. Once again thanks for all the help.

Patrick

Old 07-31-2007, 10:00 PM

Pretty fish - you can't have enough yellow flies this time of year.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:17 PM

Hello Patrick,

Great report and fine lookiing pics. Those brookies look pretty healthy. I haven't fished Walker Camp in a few years, I may have to give it a try on my next trip to the Smokies. It's a fun little stream to fish, seemed to fish better than what Don Kirk wrote on the fishing potential in his book on fishing in the Smokies.

Neal
Old 07-31-2007, 11:03 PM

I'm with Neal, Don Kirk's book (which was last published in 1996) was not very complementary of Walker Camp Prong or Alum Cave Creek. Maybe he wanted to keep them to himself.

Did you follow Alum Cave Trail or the road? If you went down the trail, I believe you were on Alum Cave Creek.

Congrats on your first Specs! The pics look great.I think I'm going to have to go back up that way in the morning, before heading off to work!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:14 PM

That's why I have three books on the area; I figure between them, and my own experience, I can figure out the good streams.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 PM

Great looking pics and nice water. That will have to be something that I hit next time I'm in the area. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 PM

I also have avoided Alum creek because of Don Kirks book I have always wanted to try it and I tink I will now. Nice post.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:00 AM

To be fair, I guess every author has, in his own mind, what makes a stream "good" or not. For example, Jimmy Jacobs apparently doesn't like tight conditions, so any stream that is a bit overgrown is off his list. I have the Kirk book as well, and I've read what he had to say about that area, and the problems with acid leeching into the water; remember, that book was written over 10 years ago - circumstances change. I know that, at least this summer, I've caught brookies lower than the books say that they should be.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:34 AM

I followed the road and had the creek to myself. I did not see anyine else fishing.

Patrick