Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-01-2007, 06:28 PM

Default New York

I normally would rather reply to other threads, but I'm posting my own today!

I am going to New York at the end of this month for a week. Will be staying with in-laws near Catskill. Will be seeing Niagara falls for the first time, and will undoubtably do some hiking, driving, canoeing and fishing, maybe a guided trip.

I would be grateful for any recommendations, and not just for fishing! I don't know New York at all. Specifically, nice canoe floats on small waters with good fishing might be nice. But then, if the fishing is great, then a big boat on big water is fine too. Smallmouth, trout, pike, doesn't really matter. My impression of the more famous trout rivers in the area is that they are fished hard, and for mostly stocked fish, so I was thinking of skipping those.

Any comments and opinions are appreciated!

Thank you, Josh
Old 08-01-2007, 09:20 PM

darter, the only place I have fished in NY was the Ausable in the Adirondacks. They are stockers but the scenery and trails were fantastic. People seem to always equate NY with NY City but the Hudson Valley, the Adirondacks and the Niagara basin are some beautiful territories.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:58 AM

There are some fine trout streams in the Catskills, problem is this time of the year it is warm and theyare probably getting stressed. If you are willing to go up to the Adirondacks, the Ausable would probably be okay this time of year.

If you are in Western NY really any water will produce especially if you are not picky about having trout. If you can afford it,charter a boat on Lake Erie or Ontario. May want to check around Pulaski. M
ay be able to hit some summer steelhead or some browns. Can't remember the name of the river there though. The local guide there Randy Jones is very well thought of. Never used him but he has a real good reputation.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:15 AM

Default NY stuff to see, fishing

I lived in Syracuse for 10 years and fished all around the state. I'd offer the following:

You'll be in the Catskills, so I'll start there. IF thewater releases on the West Branch Delawre are OK, thats where tyo ufish for trout. ALL wild fish, as tough and educated as western tailwater fish and, IMHO, biggre on average. Can be very good, and can be very frustrating. Excellent if you're up for the challenge. Best way to do it is get a guide for a day to get the lay of the land and hatch / fly info. See Koz at the fly shop in Hancock.

Many of the upper tribs of the "name streams" in the Catskills are loaded with wild brookies, very remininscent of Smokies fishing. No secrets - get on a trib in a National Park property, and walk. Stealth is more important than fly selection. Again, pending water levels.

go to the Fly Fishing Museum on the Willowemoc

For a great fun day, go to the north side of the Catskills to the Schoharie. This was Art Flicks home water and where he did his bug observation and collecting for Streamside Guide. Forget about the trout, though in August. The lower 1/3 - 1/4 of the stream is small river sized, and filled with warmwater fish - rock bass, lots of smallies, fallfish , ... Wet wade and have a ball.

The North Branch Susquehanna through Binghampton and above is, in places , a very nice wadable smallmouth fishery, with walleyes, muskies, and assorted other stuff available. NOTE - a buch of information is out there on the web re: the collapse of the Susquehanna as a smallmouth fishery. This is, to the best of my knowledge, mostly affecting the OPA sections of the river. I believe the NY sections are still pretty good

If you're taking a canoe, the Susky, lower Schoharie, Chenango River north of Binghampton - all nice canoe-able warmwater fisheries

Let me know if you need more
Old 08-02-2007, 11:24 PM

Thank you all for your help. From my internet searches, and the places you guys have provided, I have a lot to think about. Have any of you fished any of the lakes in the St Regis Canoe Area? And what about boat fishing around the Thousand Islands area?

Also, what about access to some of these places? Can you park on the side of the road at a bridge and get out and fish? Or are places like that usually posted? Or is it like here in TN, where they may be posted, but they don't have a legal leg to stand on if it's navigable?

And what about any of these: Black Lake, Sacandaga River, Pepacton Reservoir?

Again, thank you so much for your help.