Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 08-01-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Backpacking Food

Just purchased a JetBoil and will be hitting the trail over the weekend with my 17 yr old son. Does anybody have any good meal-in-a-bag food recommendations from Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry or others?

How about other kinds of foods that are easy to prepare and worth carrying (Oatmeal is one obvious meal)?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:57 PM

M.R.E.'s....there easy enought to find and they will certainly provide u with the energy needed to slay fish all day long.....ARMY NAVY SURPLUS stores carry them......there's one in Knox on Kingston pike and one right here in Alcoa on the motor mile just up the road from the flea mkt! Not all are tasty but there alot better than they used to be! I hear the sketti is pretty good!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:18 AM

Ramon Noodles, Fig Newtons, crackers, cookies, Pop-Tarts, Chex Mix, Apple Cider mix for around the campfire...No need to buy the "gourmet" backpacker food, it usually doesn't taste that good anyways.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:10 AM

I got to "enjoy" the first-generation MREs back in the 80s in the Air Force...they weren't great, but from what I heard, they were a great improvement over C rations. In the aftermath of Katrina, we all got boxes of MREs, the next generation. Overall, they are pretty good, with some better than others - the jambalaya was particularly good. The problem is, at least with the ones we got, you couldn't pick and choose - you got a big box with about 20 in them, a variety pack. Perhaps you can order the ones you like. They are more than filling, and very convenient.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:10 AM

Default foods

Get some Lipton Sides from Krogers and dump them into a zip-lock freezer bag. You can add your boiling water straight to this and its a whole lot cheaper than Mountain House. Bring along some of the salmon or tuna in a pouch and it makes a great meal. Don't use regular zip-locks, or you'll have a mess when you add the boiling water.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:18 AM

Here's something interesting. Companies who make and sell backpacking food had the best sales year ever by a huge amount in 1999. Why? Because a lot of people felt that at midnight on December 31st, computers all over the world would shut down and we would all be without essentials such as food and water.

I'm glad people buy backpacking food now because they are going camping.

Byron
Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 AM

LOL...I actually did quite a bit of work on the Y2K issue; I frankly thought we would have more problems than we did, but I never subscribed to the "find a cave, stockpile ammo and freeze-dried food" crowd. It was the biggest non-event in history, but it gainfully employed a lot of old COBOL programmers for a while.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:51 PM

I personally like to dehydrate my meals. It takes a little extra time, but the planning is part of the fun. It also allows me to customize the meals and is about as cheap as it comes. There are several good books that have recipes and instructions.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:18 PM

Second the Ramen noodles.. Alot of pastas are good and dont weigh much.. Rice meals are pretty good also... Dont forget the trail mix and jerky...

Marmot
Old 08-02-2007, 10:34 PM

A pack of butter noodles (50 cents) and a pouch of bite-sized chicken pieces ($2) mixed in that jetboil is awesome with some pepper. Add A few Clif bars, an orange, a block of cheddar, some crackers, and some pepperoni slices easily gets me through any one night of back packing. If 2 nights, add a ziplock of frozen eggs to scramble (it's fine if they thaw out, just cook em good, and eat them the first morning), another orange or 2, more Clif bars, another pack of flavored noodles and a pouch of tuna or salmon. Maybe some oatmeal with raisins in there somewhere. If 3 nights or more, you are getting serious and it is hard to beat MRE's for nutrition and weight.