Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-02-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Best Big Brown Trout Stream

What is the best big Brown trout stream in the park? I would like to have a chance to hook a 20 inch plus Brown. Any suggestion on what creek to fish. Also what size of flies to use. I was taught bigger the fly bigger the fish. I use flies tied on #6 hooks, also use #4 if the water is up. Are these too big?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Bill,

I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing when you hear from some of the more experienced people on this board they will be saying East prong of Little River. I personally have not caught a 20" brown yet on the east prong. I have only caught them up to about 15". I think most people would also say the best chance is when the water is up and stained. I would think yoru chances would be best with really big nymphs or streamers. However, my experience has taught me not to overlook really big terrestrials tossed by the banks, I mean really big. I don't think the size flies you mentioned are too big. The people that are good at catching these fish know a lot more about it than I do. If I ever catch one it will be one of my biggest fly-fishing accomplishments. There's a reason why there isn't many pictures on this board of 20 inchers. I'll be anxious to hear what the experts on here have to say.

Matt
Old 08-02-2007, 09:29 AM

Most browns I catch are on streamers. But nothing that big in the park. I'm not sure the assertion that the bigger the fly the bigger the fish is true, especially when it comes to nymphs. I've always had the best luck matching the size of what they're feeding on. I don't have too much experience in the park, so I'd like to hear from some others.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Bill,

I didn't do a good job of explaining myself in my previous post. In higher stained water is when I think really big stuff will work best. If you found a big brown out in the daytime in clear water, I still might throw a big dry at him, with a tiny dropper like #18 pheasant tail or something. The big guys do still eat small stuff.

As hard as it is to catch one of these fish, I think your chances are best in high stained water with big flies.

Matt
Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 AM

Click on the link below for a report from last year. I'm not sure there is a magic formula to catching big browns. If there was, we'd all be doing it!

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ead.php?t=7022

I agree that big streamers, nymphs and terrestrials in stained water seem like the best formula, but the picture above is from midday, with clear water, on a small fly (#16 BHPT).

I think more than anything else, its finding the fish, not scaring it (by squealing or shaking like a tree in a tornado) and then finding something it might find interesting to eat (in that order).
Old 08-02-2007, 10:44 AM

Wow, that was a big fish!

Jeff
Old 08-02-2007, 10:48 AM

Best brown trout stream: Hazel creek ( due to remoteness)
Best time to locate big browns on any stream: fall
My biggest brown in the park was 18", outside the park was 26".
The guys I know that "consistantly" catch those big browns like Jack Gregory, Timmy Doyle, Jimmy Parks don't spend alot of time blind casting, hoping for a big fish, they stalk them with alot of time observing the likely haunts and using certain tactics to locate or move the fish while manuvering themselves into position for precise presentations. Their skills are on a different level than most of us and thats why they catch those fish. I've been fishing with Jimmy Parks for over 10 years and he still outfishes me 3-1 on the trout streams.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:38 AM

A buddy of mine who has caught numerous big browns on Little River (he fishes a spinning rod with that soft plastic stuff that is shaped like a 6" minnow) will not go fishing in the park unless it is snowing or there is snow on the ground. He has parked at the "y" when the roads are closed and walked the 13 miles to Elkmont fishing the big holes along the way.

So his suggestion would be throw a huge minnow this winter.