Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-02-2007, 10:37 AM

Question Walleyes

I just read the thread about Muskies on a fly and it made me wonder what would be good flies to use on Walleye? I love catching Walleyes on a spinning rod, but now that I'm addicted to fly fishing, I'd love to hook some on a flyrod.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:15 PM

Default fly rod walleyes

Anything that resembles the minnows in the area. The problem (for me) is that the 'eyes are so active at night, moving shallow to feed and making them a better possibility on the fly. I never much cared for nite fly fishing. I've done it , but I don't like it. I've done pretty well in the far north Canada for 'eyes with a fly during the day, though. Last year, I took a 26" walleye during the day on a #2 white Double Bunny. I'm headed back to Athabasca Lake next Friday for a week of chasing pike - can't wait.

Joe
Old 08-03-2007, 10:57 AM

Thanks wolfy. That makes sense. I usually catch them on a countdown Rapala or a Storm twist tail minnow when spinfishing. I guess I need to stock up on some big streamers for the walleyes here then.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:24 AM

Default walleyes?

Where are you planning on fishing for them locally?
I think the closest place would be Norris lake or Watauga lake or Fontana. I would think you would need a boat with sonar to locate them in the deep water and use sinking lines to reach them on a fly rod. I've caught saugers (close cousins to walleyes) in the rivers and trolling plugs in the lakes but never a walleye.
You've got my curiosity on this topic, I'm always looking to catch a new species on the fly!

Wonder if Mike Anderson does this type of fishing over in Mid- TN lakes? He fishes for big stripers in the lakes.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

I wish I knew someone in TN who was an avid Walleye fisherman. In Montana my dad and I would "rip lips" every weekend. Nothing beat a cold Coors Light, a light action rod and a chartreuse jig during a hot summer day with my dad.

I would assume to catch an 'eye on a fly rod you would need to find them in fairly shallow water (probably at night), using something that mimicked a local bait fish. We used chartreuse and orange jigs to mimic small perch and sometimes jigs with a silver sparkle to mimic small shad. Typically we caught them in 13-30 feet of water bouncing the jig off the bottom. Muddy water always produced alot of fish. I was never able to get a Walleye to take anything top-water but Northern Pike would demolish top-water bait (those are fun to catch).
Old 08-03-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Where are you planning on fishing for them locally?
I think the closest place would be Norris lake or Watauga lake or Fontana. I would think you would need a boat with sonar to locate them in the deep water and use sinking lines to reach them on a fly rod. I've caught saugers (close cousins to walleyes) in the rivers and trolling plugs in the lakes but never a walleye.
You've got my curiosity on this topic, I'm always looking to catch a new species on the fly!

Wonder if Mike Anderson does this type of fishing over in Mid- TN lakes? He fishes for big stripers in the lakes.
My husband and I have caught several walleye in the Pigeon River. We fish the still deep spots from a john boat. We usually catch them in 10 to 20 ft water. We've caught a few with worms too. They aren't biting much now but Spring thru about the first week of June they bite well early morning around daylight. Fall they'll pick back up again.

There was an elderly lady fishing off the bank in Newport awhile back that caught a nice one from the bank with nightcrawlers!

I'm going to try from the boat with the flyrod. And try the sinking lines you mentioned. There are some walleye in Douglas lake too.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:13 PM

I fish Norris in the spring of the year for walleyes at night, fishing with a 4 3/4 inch down deep huskey jerk. I have thought about trying a streamer myself but never got around to doing so. At night you will have many fish that will follow your plug up and you can see them in the light (black light) and they will take it once it reaches the surface of the water. For the most part casts are short so distance wouldnt be a problem. With a black light it can be pretty bright with the white light turned on. As a bonus (if you like the things) you can catch stripe up to lord knows how big on the same lures. This method could be used on Tellico as well and I personally know of a 16 lb walleye caught there. Douglas as far as I know is mostly a jig deal in the dead of winter after you catch your limit in crappie up above Swans bridge. Chilhowee has some big walleyes but they are mostly caught trolling. Hope this helps you out alittle.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 AM

There was a good article in the April issue of Fly fisherman I think it was. I was going through catching up some of my magazines the other night,saw it and thought about this post. I was watching the Lindners last night and their philosophy is to go huge lures and agressive tactics. They were fishing 6-8 ft deep grass beds in a reservoir and said the prevailing wind brought the eyes in there to feed on bait fish. Granted they were spin fishing but they used a 5" Berkley swim bait with lead head and just jerked it along over the grass. It looked huge but they caught the fish.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
There was a good article in the April issue of Fly fisherman I think it was. I was going through catching up some of my magazines the other night,saw it and thought about this post. I was watching the Lindners last night and their philosophy is to go huge lures and agressive tactics. They were fishing 6-8 ft deep grass beds in a reservoir and said the prevailing wind brought the eyes in there to feed on bait fish. Granted they were spin fishing but they used a 5" Berkley swim bait with lead head and just jerked it along over the grass. It looked huge but they caught the fish.
I think I saw that too yesterday. In-fisherman show right? I've caught them on a 4" Storm wild-eye swim shad too. They seem to like those soft plastic swim baits a lot in the Pigeon.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:00 AM

Yep, That's it. Here in Southern VA we use the deep crankbaits and also some jigging spoons for them. We don't target them a lot though, I've caught them more by accident when I'm after Smallmouth Bass. I did keep a nice one a couple years ago though and that is one of the best grilled fillets I've ever eaten. ---Bran