Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Morning on Cosby

This morning I fished the Cosby Park. I started on the lower part of the creek. I got in at the bridge to start may day. I caught 14 fish total.
I caught 3 stock trout that had made their way up the creek to the safe haven of the park. All 3 of these fish were over 12 inches. Not Bad for small creek like Cosby. One of the fish was missing his front lower fins. The biggest of the 3 was caught on a black bird twist on a #6 hook. The other two were caught on a #8 yellow body fly that I tie.
10 of the fish were in the 5 to 6 inch range. One of these fish was hooked on the yellow fly. The other 9 were brought to hand by a #10 male Adam. The Last fish I caught was behind the house. It was 10.5 inches, it also was caught on the Male Adam. All of the fish were Rainbows. No Brookies to be hooked.
The water was up some with a little color. I had to quit fishing due to the fact I had to get home and get ready for work... I spoke to the Ranger he stated that the creek had very little pressure the past 2 months. He also said that Big Creek and Greenbriar had been getting a lot of fishing activity the last 3 weeks or so. All I can say is the Good Lord Blessed me this morning. It was one of the better days I've had on Cosby Creek in along time.

Keep on casting flies and good luck fishing.....
Old 08-03-2007, 10:35 AM

That sounds like a very good morning indeed. I've been noticing the creek everytime I drive by it on my way to town. I sure looks tempting but work calls. Maybe this weekend I'll get a chance to go for a little while.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:15 AM

Default fishNlady

The fishing on Cosby was good and I enjoy the time in the creek. If you get to fish this weekend good luck. Try a small Female Adam, Or a Male Adam. Something gray or light yellow may work this weekend.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:52 PM

Hello Fly Man Bill,

Nice report on the Cosby. I have never given that stream a try. Have always ended up on the Greenbriar when I am on that side of the Park. I'll have to give it a whirl since I'll be moving to Jefferson City in the middle of September. Would like to try the stocker section and wild brookie area as well.

Neal
Old 08-03-2007, 06:28 PM

It's a great stream...the brookies are from basically the campground area on up - most of them are small, but I've caught a few nice ones. It is very tight, to say the least.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:04 AM

Default pineman19

Neal,

I would like to welcome you to East Tennessee. The fishing on Cosby can be good or bad. The bad is when the creek is low. The higher you go up the creek the better the fishing gets better. Could hook some Brookies up high. If you like to fish put this little creek on your list to try. I get to fish the Cosby a lot. It is only a 10 min. drive from my home.
I fish Greenbriar early in the year,(April and May). The right side is good up high. The left hand side can be good but it is hit or miss. If you like to walk to get away from the crowds the right side is the ticket.
I've fished the lower section a couple of times. It was really slow. Ran into a lot of people,( swimmers and tubers and a few fisherman).
As far as the stock streams go they get pounded all season long. Some of the creeks you may want to try are the Lower section of the Cosby from where it runs from the Park to the Pigeon River. Brush Creek is a good creek early if you can beat the crowds. It is located in the Del Rio area of Cocke County in the National Forest. Paint Creek in the Green County area is also a go creek to fish, You may hook in to a Brown on the lower section of this creek. I hope this info. helps you out. If you get to fish the Cosby good luck.

Bill

May the Lord Bless you...
Old 08-04-2007, 09:12 AM

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the welcome on my move to East Tennessee. I have been reading a book on Tennessee trout fishing. Sounds like Paint Creek has some good brown truck water. I am looking forward to an opportunity to use my fly rods more often, they have collecting too much dust in West TN, lol. Thanks for the input on local waters, I am looking forward to living and working in East TN. I hope you have success on your trip to Deep Creek. I haven't fished Deep Creek much with a fly rod, but hope to explore it more when I move to the area.

Thanks again,

Neal
Old 08-04-2007, 06:12 PM

Neal, You are going to be real close to Holston below Cherokee dam. I need you to scout the area for me okay? Lol
Old 08-04-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Cosby

Flyman Bill,

I and my family will be stayin in one of those creekside cabins, the last of Oct. Whats the chances of my grandkids, catching a trout where the cabins are located.
This one sits on 3 acres of land and it is right on the Cosby. Looks like a great place to relax, but yet, not to far to take the wife into Gatlinburg.
Thanks for any help.

jim
Old 08-05-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Jim

Jim,
The chance is good that they will hook a trout this time of year. If you go to Gatlinburg take the kids to the Children's Stream. It is located on Airport Road. There is a park for them to play and fish. The creek runs right along the road. There is several parking areas at this site. It will be on the right hand side of the road. I can not remember the name of the park. I think this part of the creek is for kids 12 and under. Also I think they can fish this part of the creek for free. I will check on the rules for you. The creek that runs through town can also be fished but you have to pay for a permit. The money for the permit goes back in to the fish stocking program. Money will spent. Anyone can fish here. I think the streams are closed on Thursdays for stocking. Getting back to the Cosby do you know the name of the Cabin rental that you are staying at? This will give me a better idea to tell you where to fish. I'll will reply later with the information about Gatlinburg.
Hope this helps and good luck fishing when you get here.

Bill

John 3:16