Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-03-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Deep Creek

I will be going to Deep Creek in a couple of weeks. I've never fished the creek. What can I expect? Is there big browns swimming these waters? I have heard mixed talk about Deep Creek. Some say it is one of the best streams in the Park. While others hate it because of the tubing that takes place on the lower section of the creek and they have to walk a long ways to fish. I'm really looking forward to this trip. Should I use the same patters that I use on Little River?
All information is useful.

Thanks,
Bill

Psalm 91:2
Old 08-03-2007, 12:29 PM

The first mile of the stream is where the tuber hatch comes off. After that, you don't have to worry about them. So if you want to avoid them, be prepared to walk an easy mile.

I have a theory, tried but yet still unproven - it is that the fish in the lower section get so used to seeing the tubers, that they loose some of their skittishness when it comes to seeing fishermen. I've fished with the tubers and it gets to be more of a pain of having to deal with lifting your rod to let them pass and listening to all the yelling that it spoils the nature effect. I usually avoid it for that reason rather than tubers putting the fish down. I'd be interested in hearing from others if my theory holds any water. (Bad pun intended.)
Old 08-03-2007, 01:02 PM

I agree that the fish get used to the tubers and are still catchable. I've seen it first hand at the "Y" and several other swimming holes in the park. I usually avoid those areas during tuber seasons since there is so much other fishable water. Deep creek is such a beautiful stream and a little walk upstream is well worth it to me also!

Deep creek in the spring. no tubers here!

Old 08-04-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Troutman

Troutman,

Thanks for the pics. The creek looks really good. What can I expect as far as Browns. Are they just on the lower section or all a long the creek? Also, does this creek get a lot of fishing pressure? Is there a trail along the creek?

Thanks,
Bill

May the Lord Bless you this day....
Old 08-04-2007, 12:22 AM

Default old tom

Tom,

Thanks for the information. Do you fish this creek alot?

Thanks,
Bill

May the Lord Bless you this Day...
Old 08-04-2007, 02:55 PM

I get on it several times a year, but usually not in the summer due to the crowds. There's a big wide spot about 1.5 miles up that I like to fish in the winter because it gets some mid-day sun.

Based on my experience, I'd say it's mostly bows. I've never gotten into any real big fish (nothing over 8 to 10 inches), but that's probably more a result of my fishing ability than anything. I've also never had a really great numbers day (double digits) on it either, probably for the same reason.

The trail runs right next to the creek for the first two miles. But there's a couple of areas where it is next to the creek, but 50 feet down. It does get some pressure. It's close to Bryson City and there's a good sized campground there. Don't be surprised to see a few light weight spinning outfits on the stream. If you can, fish early or late... or both.

If you don't mind the walk, go upstream about 2 miles to a place where the trail goes to the right over a small ridge. The place is called "the turnaround" and there will be a 100 yd cul-de-sac trail that just goes in a circle by the creek. Leave the trail and get in the water there. You'll pick the trail back up in quarter mile or so, maybe less. You should have some solitude in that stretch.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:26 PM

Default old Tom

Tom,
Thanks for the information. It will be a big help.

Thanks'
Bill
Old 08-07-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Deep Creek

I have probably spent 50-70 days on Deep Creek over the last three years, so here's my $.02. I know from experience that the tubers move the fish out in to the lanes. The stream is wide, so if you don't mind casting round the tubers you'll catch some fish in the bottom section. The hike is super easy so if you want to go further in it's worth a shot.

As far as flies go, the usual supects should work just fine.

There are some large browns in Dukes, but don't be dissapointed if you don't land any sizable ones. You would have a much better shot at em in the fall.

Oh, the campground and first mile are always packed, but not to many folks fishing.

Mr. Vandalay
Old 08-07-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Mr. Vandalay

Mr. Vandalay,
Thank you for your $.02, It will be very helpful in the future. What creek on the Tennessee side of the park dose Deep Creek resemble? Have you caught any real good browns on Deep Creek. (any thing 20 inches plus)?

How dose Deep Creek compare with Hazel and Noland Creeks. I've fished both creeks a couple of times. I spent several days at Bone Valley back in the early Nineties. The best I can remember the fishing was good. Two guys in our camp caught a Brown over 20 inches each. I would say that is a good fishing trip.. I fished Noland Creek twice this year. Both times I fished Noland Creek the fishing was slow. Also, ran into four other fisherman the last time I fished there. I think Noland Creek could be a real good creek if the conditions are right. Do you know if there is any large Browns or Rainbows on Noland? Once again thank you for the information.

Thanks,
Bill

May the Good Lord Bless you...
Old 08-08-2007, 09:16 PM

I have fished Deep Creek more that any other stream in the park since I started fishing there 10 years ago. I agree that you can catch fish underneath tubers. The largest fish I have ever landed in the park was a 16 inch rainbow caught just up from the trailhead parking lot. The county still stocks the section outside the park boundary and some of the fish may swim up into the park, but I like to think mine was wild.

Recently I have ridden my bike up the trail about 2 miles (that is about as far as bikes are allowed) and then started fishing. This way you can blow past the tubers on the way up and down the trail. On my last trip there in June I had my closest encounter with a water snake in the picnic table section of the stream. This is one of my favorite streams in the park.

I have not made the trip to Hazel yet and have only been to Noland once about 7 years ago and don't remember having much luck there.