Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-03-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Going to the Cataloochee

Well,
Sunday we are headed to the Cataloochee for four days of fishing and animal watching. Any suggestions for a successful trip?? If you are there and see a red Tahoe with plates that read "TROUT 2" that is us.

Tom
Old 08-03-2007, 05:19 PM

Tom....there has been a lot of discussions lately on that great place....just do a search on Cataloochee above and you will find plenty of information.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:42 PM

It can be a tough place to fish, but is definitely one of the prettiest places in the park. Just be patient and remember........stealth!

Craig
Old 08-04-2007, 12:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

go to the last field in big catalooch late in the afternoon and watch the elk....they just materialize from the forrest...........great sight.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:51 AM

Default giong to the Cataloochee

Sam Thanks for the info. The last field... is that near the ranger station end or is the last field in the opposite direction. I am familiar with the Palmer house. My wife is the big animal watcher and if she saw the Elk herd that would get me points til Christmas

Thanks
Tom
Old 08-07-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Elk! Whooo hooo!

We were there 3 weekends ago. Some of the smaller bulls were near the ranger house, but the really big ones were in the field on the left with the lone giant tree. ( before you get to the church that's on the stream)
I know one thing.....I would hate to be walking up the creek and have one of those big bulls want to cross where I was fishing! The fishing would wait! haha

They are awesome creatures....my wife has made me promise to take her back this fall to try and hear them bugle(buguel?buegell?bueller? ferris bueller?)

Have a great time.

( oh, and I didn't get to fish any, but I did see a nice one hanging out under the footbridge that goes to that one old house. People all over the place, and that little 12 incher was just hanging out, munching nymphs and taunting me. I swear I saw him wink at my wife like..." thanks for keeping him from fishing".
Old 08-07-2007, 10:20 AM

Default elk

When do the elk start bugleing? I'd love to be there and hear them too.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Elk Bugling Season

I was there in late October last year and it was wonderful. Extremely crowded, but the bulls were chasing the cows and bugling. It definitely was an amazing sight. The fishing was not too good on that trip, but that is probably the only unsuccesful trip I have had there. My recommendation is that if you are planning on camping try to get there either on Wednesday or Thursday, because it fills up quickly on Friday.

Travis