Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

View Poll Results: Favorite BC site
17 0 0%
18 2 14.29%
24 4 28.57%
23 3 21.43%
31 0 0%
other 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Favorite Backcountry sites?

I have just got started back into backpacking. The only BC sites I have stayed at are 17 & 18. My next trip will proably be 23 or 24. Mmorgan's trip to 53 sounded intresting if I can get into better shape. I have been up around 31 hiking with the family, but didn't know what the fishing would be like.
What other site do you all recomend?

Last edited by Vern; 08-05-2007 at 01:00 PM..
Old 08-05-2007, 10:01 AM

Looks like I cast the first vote. My favorite is 23.

Byron
Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 AM

Really a toss up between 23 and 24....first backpacking experience was at 24 but that was when you could drive to the forks of the river....now with the extra walk 24 is about all I can handle.....this is a great campsite with access to all kinds of water....you can camp a week here and never have to fish the same water twice.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Good Question

Earlier this summer I tried to find more info about all of the backcountry campsites. The hiking trails of the Smokies book, makes only brief mention of campsites encountered along each trail, but being overly analytical, I decided I wanted to know more about each one, and more importantly each "Fish Camp".

From looking at maps it appears that there are 46 backcountry campsites that are more or less located on a stream and could allow for fishing (14 in TN and 32 in NC). A few of them may have sketchy fishing conditions. I decide that I wanted to try a visit all of them and see which ones are worth staying at. Of course this will take some time, but it should be good exercise for an older guy...

I've visited a few and already crossed #15 off the list since Rabbit Creek, at that campsite doesn't appear to have any trout in it...that of course will be the most important factor of each camp. Does anyone know if #2, #11 or #12 have any fish worth chasing after?

As far as the question of which is best, I guess I'm still too early in the search and so far my favorite site, isn't even a place you can fish at. Its #20 on Meigs Mtn Trail. It was a 2.3 mile hike in with just enough of a gradient in the middle to get your heart pumping and the campsite was nice and flat, in a nice grove of trees and not a soul in sight. If I had to pick from the list above, right now, I'd go with #23.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

#2 is not really good at all...unless ya wanna visit the cemetery next door
Old 08-09-2007, 12:47 PM

I'll second Sam's opinion of #2. I couldn't get anything to hit last spring anyway.

Forget about #11 for fishing as well. You are lucky if the "stream" there is flowing this time of year, let alone having fish. I've heard that #3 isn't bad the right time of year.

I've hiked past #12 many years ago, but can't recall what Forge Creek looks like that far. Pretty darn tight I would guess.

I would move these sites off my list until I exhausted all the other great possibilities there are.