Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-07-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Abram's Creek

Has anyone fished Abram's lately? The family will be camping in the cove this weekend, I know, we are gluttens for punishmet, but I will be able to get away for a while on Saturday morning, and thought about hitting the creek between the trailhead and the shoe.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:38 AM

No information on Abrams, sorry. But my family and I went around the loop last night and saw a bunch of bucks in full rutting gear! One of them was an 8 point I think and he was HUGE!

We also saw a terrible sight. We were stopped for at least 30 minutes just past the first short cut road. We could see a group of people surrounding a tree up ahead of us. By the time we got up there, there was a very skinny bear in that tree and 1 cub higher in the tree. People had the base of the tree surrounded and I think I saw some teenagers throwing stuff at the cub. It was a terrible sight. They had the cub and the bear cornered in that tree for at least 30 minutes.

So, if you go, you may get to see some really big bucks and the usual turkeys, we saw bunches of turkey, and maybe a bear. But please, don't corner it and throw stuff at it.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Sick!!!!

That makes me sick! I wish a group of people had started throwing rocks at them. Sometimes I think we need a little civilian decency enforcement. I just don't think there are enough policemen to control all the stupidity.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:03 AM

Wait until the elk herd increases and we get some of them in Cades Cove, and some idiot wants to take a picture of a bull in the rut from "real close". I imagine people will start respecting wild animals again real quick.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:13 AM

That is horrible...we fished Cosby on Saturday evening, and my daughter found two nearly empty shampoo bottles in the stream...we packed them out, but it has become depressingly common - we find trash everywhere, and you apparently found some trash that was standing on two legs, badgering animals.

It makes one wonder if we have lost all sense of civility.

Last edited by ijsouth; 08-08-2007 at 11:32 AM..
Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 AM

Wow, sorry to hear that. Given the mood I've been lately my fuse for idiots is pretty short right about now. I'm honestly happy I did not see that because there would probably have been words spoken and "action" taken if the harrassment did not stop. I would hope others in the "mob" would realize the harm they were doing when someone spoke up.

Of course, there are red necks and jerks everywhere and one could spend a lifetime trying to do something about it.

Too bad the mama bear didn't teach them a lesson. They were very lucky she didn't come down the tree and light into them.

What a shame. I wasn't even there and just reading about it is quite distrubing and will take some time to get back focused on working (which I should be doing instead of thinking about fishing).

If I'm ever in the crowd and something like that happens, I sure do hope one of you guys would stand with me or at least behind me as I told them to stop. I can assure you, I would be at your shoulder ready , willing, and able to do something about it.

If you were alone, you did absolutely the right thing, no telling what kind of jerks they were. I know my flahs point temper is going to get me in trouble some day.

Thanks for sharing this.

Jeff
Old 08-08-2007, 04:24 PM

I stayed in the car with my little girl and held her up to the window so she could see it. She's 1.5 years old and that was the first time she's seen a wild bear. i said, "Do you see the bear?" and she went "Grrrr!"

I kept driving so we didn't have to see the mama bear attack someone. I did hollar at a man who was literally only a few feet from the bear that she will probably eat him.

That bear was awfully skinny and she appeared very defensive. Her cub was really small and was running around in the tree above her. It was a dangerous situation and a very sad thing to see.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

a lot of the bears are skinny...the food situation is really bad. the berry crop was/is almost nothing and the earlier squaw root and other things were bad also.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:49 PM

What needs to happen is for the rangers to start dishing out HEAVY harrassment fines. IF the momma had come down from that tree and "attacked" someone she would have been distroyed, the cub removed and placed in the "welfare" of humans. I'm sure they do a good job but not like momma could. People just go stupid when they see a bear. As for abrams creek. I went up where it comes into the lake last week and it was high, muddy, and a HOT 78.3 degrees.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:33 AM

I will let you know how the fishing on Abrams is after Saturday.

As for the bears, I completely agree with all of the posts. I have been backpacking and fishing the mountains for over 20 years, and have seen my fair share of bears. I have never had a problem of any kind. A person's own stupidity is 99.9% of the time the cause of a bear attack. It all boils down to a lack of respect. I don't believe the tourons would appreciate it if they were in a tree and I was throwing rocks at them.