Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-08-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Advice for Yellowstone Adventure

Hello All,

I just accepted a new job offer here in Nashville and, beginning next week, will have 10 days of freedom. So, despite the adverse conditions, I have made arrangements to place myself in the Yellowstone area for 7 days (Aug 16 - Aug 22). I have read lots of info on the area, but have no direct experience.

I plan on tent camping the entire trip. Right now I'm looking at some National Forest sites. Specifically, Cherry Creek Campground (free) on Hebgen Lake and Cabin Creek Campground on the Madison. I'd prefer to camp in Yellowstone NP, but site availability is very limited. Do any of you have any experience staying in the pubic sites in that area? Recommendations?

Also, are there any of you that have recently returned from Yellowstone? I know there is a looong list of stream closures, as well as fires in the Missoula area. I've read reports, however, and there are still several fishable areas. Maybe someone can recommend some less known streams that I could try.

The circumstances aren't optimum, but sheesh, I've been dreaming of Ole Yellerstone for too long now. It's time to make this happen!

Thanks for any input!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:16 PM

You will need to to some good planning, and fish very early in the AM. The temps were already high when I was there a few weeks ago. I still caught alot of fish on tan foam hoppers even with the tough conditions. I only fished in Paradise Valley, so maybe others will chime in on other locations. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 PM

Shame the job wasn't say, 3 more weeks out and you could have hooked up with me

I always get me the first two night in a campground, this time it's Madison campground, drive over to Pebble/Slough and if they have a spot, "grab" it and cancel the second night. Maybe I've been lucky, but have never had any trouble finding a place to lay my head.

The big name water is closed from 2pm to way after day, fish it early and sight see after 2pm or hit smaller water, but if you are by yourself I don't recommend it, might find you in bear scat.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:18 PM

BTW... David and Trevor are out there right now, do you have a number for one of them?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:31 PM

Default yellowstone

head for the northeast end of the park--lamar river--slough creek--soda butte--take a grasshopper or two with you--stay away from firehole--gibbons--etc.--it will probably be a little crowded--did great in June--don't know about fires etc.---the folks at blue ribbon fly shop in west yellowstone will push you in right direction--wait till you get there---make a connection or two--then decide where the action is--you will do well--
Old 08-08-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Thomas View Post
BTW... David and Trevor are out there right now, do you have a number for one of them?
Good idea! I think I still have Trevor's #. I'll give him a call tomorrow. Maybe he'll have a signal.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:54 PM

According to North Fork Angler's in Cody there is a lot of cooler water in the Cody area than in the other areas of the park. I've found this to be true many times when I've been there. The So. Fork of the Shoshone has some fantastic brown trout fishing. There is a lot of water in the Shoshone and Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone drainages.- Sunlight, Dead Indian, Crandall and others. Some of them are actually running high due to afternoon rains. The Beartooth Mountains along the Wyoming/Montana line have tons of small lakes full of fish from 12- 15 + inch Cutts, Grayling, Goldens and a lot with Brookies if all sizes. Brookies are a trash fish there. you can keep either 20 or 30 under 8 inches for breakfast. The Beartooth Highway was one of Charles Krault's favorite stretches of road!!
I'll be there for about 3-3 1/2 weeks (Just missing you- arrive on 22nd) and probably only fish the park a couple times. I prefer the fishing outside the park to the NE of Yellowstone and it is a lot less crowded. There are a lot of NF campgrounds between Cody and the Park and Between Cody and Cooke City along the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone.

For one of my trips in the park, LittleRiverMike and I hooked up and are going to walk into Cache Creek or the Upper Lamar. The Lamar is closed up to Cache Creek and according to my reading muddies up easily. There has been a lot of PM rain up there.

Be sure to drive along the Lamar valley at Dusk and look for Vans of Wolf Watchers with their Scopes. Most of them will let you sneak a peak at Yellowstone's newest creature.
Good Luck and enjoy
Randy Sale
Kytroutbum
Old 08-09-2007, 08:50 AM

OK, thanks, I'll do some more research on the Cody/Shoshone area. I had been looking at a KOA over in that area.

It looks like I'm missing a couple of you by only a week or so. I wish I could be more flexible in my planning.