Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 AM

Default Hyde or Clackacraft????

I may start war! Who's the better boat maker for floats on the local tailwaters! Clacka or Hyde? Are there any better out there? Sizes, models, features! Please help me out! What should I expect to pay new and does anyone out there know anybody out there that has one for sale?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:17 AM

I think I already know where this is going but please give me some help on models and necessary features and maybe some not so necessary features that are worth having!

Thanks in advance and look forward to opinions!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:26 AM

Default another good boat

Don't rule out RO drift boats. I took a trip down the Madison in a skiff. The low profile handled windy conditions well. They are very popular with guides out West.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:20 PM

Old 08-09-2007, 02:22 PM

The above is a Hog Island, I'll send you pricing and another pic if you email me at branmidkiff@gmail.com I just did some research recently but I don't own one. The clackacraft also looks pretty good, they sent me a catalog.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Former Clacka owner

I had an old one for 9 years. At first I got upset I barely scraped it on a rock in the Clinch, and trust me you will hit rocks just as trout rise to a #16 crippled sulphur. After I spoke to the owner on how they treat their own boats(lowering them by the bow ring over rock edges into the river below) and saying he would "warranty the bottom against a bomb or 100 years", I quit worrying. There is 6" of solid glass in the bottom. Hit it, beat it, fish it, and depend on it.

What I did hear is that Hyde (high riding Hyde) has foam in the bottom. If there is a crack in the bottom, and water is absorbed, and then it gets cold enough outside to freeze.....same principle as a Coke can in a freezer.

I would suggest the low sided Clacka if you can find one, if not the old ones are easy to row and fish out of, but in big wind and sore arms from several long days of rowing it may make a difference.

Flat Fly'n
Old 08-09-2007, 04:52 PM

Default flatnfly

Alright this is something I didn't know the two boats! Solid glass or foam and glass, thanks for the imput! If I were planning on a Hyde I was going to go with an aluminum bottom Hyde! The expense in this kinda boat (w/no motor) what's an extra grand or two for the aluminum! You did however say "low side" got my curiosity flowing! I noticed clacka makes several models for all types of purposes and it's hard to differentiate the models by looking online! I ordered the catalogue several days ago and hopefully it will get here soon!

Let me further state what I'm looking for in a boat!

Plenty of room for 2 anglers and one at the oars w/a level floor!
Storage for gear and a built in cooler.
High riding boat for skinny water or a bullet proof bottom!
"Smart" Storage for ample storage of goods without sacrificing space!

I want a drift boat capable of floating a wide variety of tailwaters. I like clacka's idea in there rail system that allows you to add accessories and customize seating, storage, and otherwise personalize your boat! I'm sure I'd be happy with any ol boat that would float me down river but when money is invested. I'd prefer to have it well invested! I'm also sure when I get one it will see plenty of water!

Free float for anyone who gets me on the right boat when I get it!

Further questions; Which clacka model should I be looking at? Where's a dealer of drift boats around here?

I haven't had time to browse the other two models yet! I retract that statement I haven't had time to look at the Hog. I have however looked at the RO's and boy that put one high class paint jobs on their boats! There a good looking boat! Troutman, being as I've never fished any water out west. Aren't a vast majority of there waters deeper than ours! I know a vast majority of what is fished are large streams....I didn't spend much time looking around there site I became worried with that though. I know most of these makers are out west but Hyde and Clacka are the only two I've seen in our local waters!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Decision almost made!

Ok, so my wife came home to me sleeping on the couch on her lunch waving a package around with my name on it. I had requested a catalogue from clacka a little over two days ago. Wow! Not only was it quick but it came accompanied with A well thought out dvd! The dvd was informative in alot of aspects.....all of course sell points on there skiffs. My only dislike to the video is they don't cover all of there models and there specific designed uses. They specifically cover two models, one more than the other in the dvd. Not sure which boat it is, I would have to look. The model they covered the most was a steelheading boat designed with a front bench seat then they breifly covered there 16LP model. Giving a very brief view of the boat itself! The 16LP is the model chosen specifically for fly fishing! To those out there that want to know a price it took three days to find an online retailer with a price, and no the brochure they send doesn't come with any pricing! The 16LP with level floors, casting braces (front and rear), trailer, oars, and anchor rope start at $7,600.00 and go from there depending on accessories! The basic layout is all a person really needs or any guide would use! They appear to make a fine craft which is endorsed by several lodges and backed by a multitude of guides accross the states! It's an amazing boat to watch move throught the water! The video has a short clip on moving down the Dechutes river in several rapids. Looked like a rather dry riding boat as well! I'm impressed not sold yet though! I'd like to take a float in a new one with the gulf stream technology! Those guys that's been doing it a while make it look neer effortless!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Boat Dealer..

Dont know of any boat dealers on the east coast.. If ya order one from Clacka they will build them to your specifications and color choices.. They will then ship it to ya from Idaho/Oregon or you can pick it up there.... Shipping is around $800.. Ya haft to wait for them to have a load coming east though.. Usually every couple of months I think.. The next one headed this way will be around the end of the month.. If the load is not full you may be able to get on that one.. If it is full it will be another few months after that. Or you can pick it up in Idaho..

Hope this helps ya out..

Marmot
Old 08-10-2007, 10:46 PM

the best time to buy a clackacraft is in the winter and get it shipped when make a trip to the charolette show in the early spring on a show special deal ;2007 show price 16' lp $ 6995. complete,ready for the river, factory direct price $7695 retail price is $11095 . the 16' lp is a guide boat, the 15 lp is easier to handle if fishing by your self or 1 other person it is the sports car of drift boats the diference between 16lp and 15lp 1 ft. longer behind the rower seat for extra gear . for a guide with 2 anglers and giude. i heared today that there was a hyde dealer on signal mountain in chattanoga don't have a name but was told that hyde had a link from their web site. i have a friend who has ordered a new hyde with a g4 bottom . brent give me a call if you want more info?