Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-09-2007, 04:10 PM

Default First Trout

I went fishing on Middle Prong about half way up the gravel road. I finally caught my first trout in the park. To me it was the best trout ever, actually about a 7 or 8 inch rainbow. I guess the third time is really the charm. Would anyone fish in the park this weekend and if so where?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:53 PM

Talking Congratulations!

Flyguy,

Welcome to the clan. You just think that the trout got hooked. You will never be able to let it go now. There is absolutely nothing sweeter than the first trout.

As for this weekend, I would heed the warnings from the LRO Fishing Report. As much as I have loved going up and fishing just about weekly since May, this appears to be as rough a time as any this week with the combination of water temperature, water level and general stress on the fish. As much as you want #2, I would cool the jets for a few days. There are many more fish and many more fishing trips waiting for all of us.

Again, congratulations - you are now officially a flyguy!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-09-2007, 09:27 PM

Congratulations...as for fishing this weekend, I would first invest in a digital thermometer; then, I would concentrate on going high and/or the North Carolina side - if the temperatures are still in the low 60s, like they were for us last weekend, you're ok. If they're in the high 60s, leave them alone, although chances are if the temps are that high, they'll leave you alone.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Fly fish but not for trout

Like most have said, the trout are WAY too stressed for me to consider fishing the Park streams right now. I live in Maryville and have been out of town on business for 5 of the last 6 weeks. What I really want is to spend a lot of time on the streams but just cannot bring myself to do so. Even a short fight on a small fish would likely cause it's demise.

You can however, have a lot of practice and fun fly fishing for Smallie's, Red Eye's and anything else that will take a fly by going to the Little River stretch just on the Kinzel Springs side of the river on down towards Maryville. Very productive, nice scenery, and a generally flat bottom. Makes for a pretty good time, plus the yellow bagels don't usually get down that far. And a cool dunk about noon is very tempting this time of year.

Paula or Byron can help wiht your fly selection, and anyone else on this board that has fished there can also help. Heck, call my cell tomorrow if you want and I can give you my amatureish advice. I'm at 865-567-4429 and I'll answer as Jim. Good luckand wlecome to the club.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:48 PM

I don't want to be controversial and I DO NOT CONDONE IMPROPER BEHAVIOR but I speak from experience. If you go to an elevation above 2700 ft or so you will not find any water above 66 degrees. I don't think 66 is lethal to any trout unless you overplay the fish and then it doesn't matter what kind of temperature it is. I do agree that 66 or 67 is the upper limit for trout fishing but I am almost certain that you can find water tomorrow in the park where it is 63 or so. The key is to be at the right elevation.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
I don't want to be controversial and I DO NOT CONDONE IMPROPER BEHAVIOR but I speak from experience. If you go to an elevation above 2700 ft or so you will not find any water above 66 degrees
Not controversial at all - last week, Road Prong was quite chilly - about 61. I didn't take the temperature further down the West Prong, but I found myself at one point having to wade through a rather deep pool - let's just say I wish I was about 6-7 instead of 5-7. You just have to pick your places. A lot of people on this board like to fish the areas that are fairly close to Townsend, and for good reason. However, just look at a topo map - those streams aren't that high up, so the temperatures are going to be higher. Back in June, the Middle Prong of Little River was running at about 68 on my thermometer - too warm back then, and that was a fair ways up in the gravel. I said it above - perhaps my best fly-fishing investment is my digital thermometer - it will tell you a lot of what you need to know.

I will say this - it's hot all over the Southeast...it's even hot for down here. It hadn't been that bad of a summer until now. Now, my glasses fog up instantly when I go outside, and they stay nice and foggy for a while.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Agree about the altitude

I agree if you go up and hike in then there is no real problem. However my personal experience and my observations are that new inductee's, me included, tend to stick to the easier access streams. This is particularly true when you don't have a fellow FF to go with.

By all means, if you find water cold enough, fish it. I have a general thought that if the H2O is over 70, I'm leaving the trout alone.

Perhaps a biologist is needed to shed some light on this, or at least someone with more than my 2 years experience.......
Old 08-11-2007, 09:59 AM

Just my two cents worth. From the stream management class I took, the biologist told us the optimal temperatures for trout was 58-62F. Temperatures above 62 were less than ideal with temperatures above 66 creating moderate stress for the fish. Compounding the water temperatures are the water levels themselves. Lower water is slower moving and has a related lower level of oxygen. The depleted oxygen levels create an additional stress level on the fish. It would be my opinion to stick to the higher elevations or the tailwaters until the temperatures drop and the water levels increase.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:28 AM

I agree that the optimal temperature is below 62 for trout and some stress will come in to play. Fishing creates some level of stress at any temperature and will be greater at higher temp. I also agree that water level is critical, of course lower water usually means warmer water also. I also think some of this debate becomes moot when you realize that you won't be able to catch much in water temps above 67 or so. The trout just don't bite that good at that temp.

Let's hope we get some rain and colder weather soon.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:30 AM

jdwindon!

If you ever need company on a stream let me know. I'm always looking for someone to go with, especially on some of the more remote places. I used to be alone alot and it's just so risky with all that could happen.