Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-13-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Floating the Clinch

How is floating the Clinch when there are two generators going? I've only waded and/or floated it with 1 gen going. Im not worried about the speed, but is the fishing still good when the water is that high?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Two Generators

It can be good with big streamers. Quite a few people do it with hardware, not too sure if many are trying the streamers yet. Sinking line and big streamers, along the banks and any other current break.

Best,
John
Old 08-13-2007, 06:38 PM

I've never done any good w/ 2 running
Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 PM

There's a few spots on the river where you can still hit risers and drag some nymphs for a few fish. However, like mentioned....streamers will be the big thing. Success is in the eye of the beholder. You can see some monsters, might get a strike....might not. IF your looking to boat 50 fish....Id say good luck. If your looking for a good float with the possibilities of big fish and maybe a few smaller fish mixed in....I think you'll like it.

Oh yea, hardware guys seem to do better than most of us fly guys when the wheels are rolling.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Two turbines

The best generation is pretty widely agreed to be one turbine. I ahve caught fish with 2 turbines and some good ones. But the numbers are not good, 5 fish is a good day but a look at a big fish is a very real possibility. Take a sinking line (full sinking) on at least a 6 wt. Set up a 3-4 foot leader and throw some big streamers; T & A Rainbow, Zoo Cougars, Stacked Blondes, Circus Peanuts etc. These are 3-5" streamers. I catch some big fish and also some 10" trout on them (hows that for attitude!). Hit any structure along the bank and any structure you pass. Get Kelly Galloups book, I bet they have it at Little River. Fish with a strip-Jerk retrieve, fast, strip 1-2 feet, then jerk while you are returning your hand to the rod again to strip again. Keep the fly moving. If you get a follow do not stop the fly! The fish will turn and bolt! Everybody does it though. Last weekend throwing a black articulated Zoo Cougar I had two trout come after my streamer, one a rainbow of about 18" the other a brown of about 25-28", I hooked one of them and for a second or two could not tell which it was because they both were still thrashing around. I had hooked the bow and it was a football, evidently the brown was trying to take the streamer away from the smaller fish! Needless to say that was an exciting sequence!
It is very busy though and I would take a stripping basket unless you are in the front of a drift boat.
Good luck,
John
Old 08-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Default 1 turbine?

With one generator going you can still fish dry flies correct? If you are floating down the river do you stay in your boat to fish with one generator going or do you try to get out in the faster current?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:29 PM

I wouldn't really recommend getting out of a perfectly good boat to wade the Clinch with one wheel running. There are a few places where it would be possible, I just wouldn't recommend it. It could make for a very easy accidental obituary with the swift, cold water being a very formidable opponent.

Stalk them from the boat. And yes, 1 turbine does work well with dries when bugs are active. Don't overlook terrestrials.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:25 AM

Default boat might have been misleading

I have a kayak is it okay ti fish from the kayak with one generator going?
Old 08-19-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Kayak with one generator?

I've never fished it from a kayak, but I have from a canoe with one running (although it was spin fishing, which is less of a problem when the boat wants to turn). I'd say as long as you can keep the right side dry, a kayak would be fine. Remember that if you do turn over, the water is extremely cold, even in this weather. A PFD is a must, and a drytop would probably be a good idea if you can stand to wear it.

I've wondered if a small drift sock at the bow would keep the craft pointed downstream and reduce the directional problem.

For what it is worth, when I canoe, I usually start fishing with the water low, then catch the rising water and ride it to Clinton late in the day. I do have a new kayak I've been wanting to try that with if the water will start behaving a little better. Keep me in mind if you want to try a buddy float sometime.