Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-15-2007, 07:51 PM

Thumbs up Roaring Fork

This was the trip I was finally going to Greenbrier but hubby Jack got a "bug". This morning he was better and we went to Roaring Fork thinking it was not as far as Greenbrier in case he wanted to come back early. I fished while he checked out the neat sites there. With all the talk about stressing the fish I was extra careful, used barbless hook and released the fish as quick as possible.

I thought it was high enough there that I might catch a brookie but all I caught were rainbows, from 3" to 10". I saw one larger but could not get him to hit. After the first ten fish I quit counting. Every plunge pool had rainbow. Usually I caught one, occasionally two from a pool. Of course, sometimes I didn't catch any! Every fish was released and shot back into the water in apparent good health. One got off as I brought it in and flopped into a pool with no outlet to the stream. You guys would have laughed watching me try to catch him with my hands! Finally dug a little trench and drained out some water and then caught him in the shallows and put him in the stream. Even that one took off like a bat out of you know where.

I love that kind of fishing, rock hopping and stalking the trout. I know it is not the way to catch a big fish but it sure is FUN! I was amazed at how the trout would rise, see me or sometimes I think see the rod over the pool and just sink back down or shoot off and disappear. I learned a lot about stalking.

Now I have very sore leg muscles and something tells me tomorrow morning getting out of bed will be a challenge. But worth it....saw 1 deer, 2 turkeys, and miles of the most beautiful stream scenery. This is a wonderful place.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Thumbs up Achin' muscles

Congrats!! Now that's my kind of fishing. Yeah the muscles will feel it in the morning... your face muscles from all that grinnin'

Gerry
Old 08-15-2007, 08:35 PM

Talking

Gerry,

You are right!! Sometimes I laughed out loud at one of those wild rainbow jumps and strikes. If anybody had been around, they would have thought....crazy woman alert!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:51 PM

Barbara!

Did you check the water temp? I'm kind of curious for future trips I might take.

thanks
Old 08-15-2007, 08:53 PM

Barb,

You're killing me! What a great time.

Keep on fishin.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-15-2007, 09:30 PM

Hans,

I did not think to check the water temperature. I wish I had. I caught a fish on my second cast and that pretty much did it for my brain for the rest of the day. Sorry.

Barbara
Old 08-15-2007, 09:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

That's what we call "Trout Fried"!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:07 PM

Great post...I've been intrigued by that stream - everything I've read about it says it's a hidden gem. I'm curious about the temps there, too...one thing is for certain - from what I've read, that stream has quite a gradient to it, so it doesn't lack for aeration.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 AM

My son considers this his stream and I must ask permission before I fish it....was wondering what part of the stream you were fishing and what the water levels were like.....if you were in the gorge at the lower end I can understand the aching muscles.....there are some places down there that you just cannot navigate without making like a mountain goat.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:07 AM

I guess I'm asking the same question as a few of the guys above...did you fish from the Trillium Gap Trail (near Grotto Falls @3500'), off the Grapeyard Ridge Trail @2400' or somewhere along the Roaring Fork Rd?

Glad to hear that had fun. Climbing and fishing off the beaten track allows you to fish some water that gets very little attention...