Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-16-2007, 01:43 PM

I may have trouble explaining where I fished. Never been there before so I had no clue where anything was. I started fishing off the road above a cabin, can't remember the names of the folks that lived there, they had 8 or 9 kids and the mom lived there til 1930. Great pictures at the park service sign. But anyway, above that place was rough getting to the stream, got easier below there. I would fish, drive to the next pulloff, fish, drive, etc. Quit past the mill, where the stream seemed to do a circle on itself. I do not know the trails or whether one can fish off them.

Most of the stream was very steep, lots of climbing on rocks to fish the pools. Perhaps the oxidation kept the trout lively. It would not be a good place to go alone. The water is low enough that climbing out on the rocks is necessary and a fall could be bad. Might be a long time before someone came looking.

I didn't use my wading boots. Only used one fly, a yellow thingy with a black stripe on the rear end. Got it at LRO don't remember the name. Broke it off once but got it back. It was starting to look pretty ratty when I lost it permanently at the mill pond.

Speaking of the mill pond, there are at least 2 rainbow in there and one is a nice fish.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Yellow Thingy

Barbara,

I am glad you had a great time. Hope your husband is doing better. I have fished that stream some, but I think I need to try it again. It sounds like my kind of stream.

I think the "Yellow Thingy" would be a great name for a fly. I am going to tie some up for my next trip to the mountains in a couple of weeks. I hope the weather is cooler, and we have some rain before then.

Have a great week!

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:31 PM

Don,

I want one of those "yellow thingys" and put a parachute on top so I can see it! I will be back the end of September. If "yellow thingy" is a hit, we can Patent it!

Barbara
Old 08-16-2007, 07:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

barbara...sounds like you were at ephraim bales when ya started and ended near the reagan house. glad ya got "trout fried".
Old 08-16-2007, 09:54 PM

Sam,

You are right. I started before the Bales house and if Reagan house is the one with the mill, I ended a ways beyond it. Would have fished a bit further but got tired and hot. It was a hot day even in the shade by the water.

Jack is better. Still couldn't have kept up with you on a hike. But we will try again later. Surely the rains and cooler weather will come soon.

The Bales place amazed us. There would have been 8 or maybe it was 9 kids and the 2 adults living in that small place. We couldn't see access to the loft but we assumed there had been a sleeping loft for the kids. Otherwise they were sleeping in the corn crib!

Barbara