Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-16-2007, 06:58 AM

Smile Need info on Doe River

I will be staying at Roan Mountain State Park the week after labor day. I need some information on fishing the Doe River and it's feeder streams in this area. Any information on what flies to use would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know if there are any brookies in the area.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:45 PM

Flyyak,

I have only fished the Doe a couple of times, so I'm no expert. Here's my two cents:

First of all, just like in the Smokies, check the water level and temp. I know I have seen that piece of water look like the Tennessee River or like a trickle. I bet it is closer to the latter right now. Hopefully conditions will change by the time your trip rolls around.

If conditions are good, the usual Smokies go-to flies have always done well for me. Parachute Adams, Thunderheads, any yellow pattern, size 14 or 16 range. Nymphs would include Prince, Pheasant Tails, or Hare's Ear. I had really good luck with a TN Hybrid nymph on one trip in the fall. The TN Hybrid is like a cross between a Tellico and a Prince. Lots of tree cover around the campground, so don't overlook the terrestrials.

I never have caught a brookie there, but I am told they start to show up just above the campground. I also read about a trib of the Doe that has good brookie fishing. I'll look into it and get back to you. I'm headed up that way for the weekend to visit the in-laws, and I usually quiz some of the locals while there. I'll give you a shout back on Monday.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:58 PM

Smile Appreciate the information

Hopefully we can get some good rains the next two weeks to gert the stream levels up and the temperatures down.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:41 PM

They be brookies in the tribs...They even rebuit a barrier.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:02 PM

Default The Doe

If there is decent water start just above the campground and fish upstream. There is good water in that area. Bushy stuff seems to work well.