Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-18-2007, 11:41 AM

Default back from the west

just got back from out west yesterday and I am exhausted! plateau angler and I spent 3 weeks or so touring colorado, yellowstone, and the black hills. we had a great time to say the least.

the first stream we came to in colorado, david told me not to pee my pants when I saw the fish. well, I didn't pee my pants, but I did have to immediately go relieve myself. in short order, we were catching 20 inch plus browns on green drakes and PMDs. these fish pulled like freight trains and took on average 10-15 minutes to land each. on 6x tippet also. this pretty much set the tone for the trip.

in colorado we fished meadow streams, freestone streams, trophy water, tailwaters, alpine lakes, and anything else you could imagine. the fishing was excellent, but VERY technical. you had to do everything perfectly to catch alot of these fish. on the frying pan in particular, I was brought to the brink of using 7x flouro tippet, on which I landed a 22 inch brown. I still don't know how I landed that fish on 7x.

on the frying pan, there was one fish in particular that we had spotted for a few days that was honestly over 30 inches. on our last day on the pan, this monster reared it's ugly head. david, who had become somewhat like a mad scientist at this point, was determined to catch this fish. after multiple tries, I acting as spotter, in disbelief saw the take, and david, in disbelief yell something like, "got him". I dropped my rod straight on the ground and fell multiple times trying to get to the net and get to the water.... into the backing.... gone. I ragged him the rest of the trip about losing that fish, but in all honesty, I'm not sure he could have landed it without at least a 6wt rod w/ fighting butt.

yellowstone was great, although there were mandatory 2pm stream closures and buffalo in rut to deal with. we caught many nice fish, and david took the cake with one particular rainbow which I'm sure he'll share with us.

as hugh reported in another thread, we had the pleasure, and unusually good timing to run into him at blue ribbon flies in west yellowstone. he tipped us off on a few areas they had done well at out there, and from his report, it looks like they did really well indeed.

so the whole trip was great. the fishing was good, and we had many great wildlife encounters. I even saw a grizzly feasting on an adult bison carcass! we did have a particularly bad encounter with a coyote in texas, which i'll let david share.

here's a few of my pictures.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Holy xxxx!

Wow. Not much more I can say.

sb
Old 08-18-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Wow!

3 WEEKS!?!?!? You are truly a blessed man! Thanks for the report and the pics. One day.... one day........ I'll get out there...................

Norm
Old 08-18-2007, 02:50 PM

As Trevor said, it was a great trip with many good fish caught. The only fly in the ointment was the aforementioned coyote. I was driving and we were rolling through the Texas panhandle probably 20 miles east of Amarillo. It was probably 3 or 4 in the morning when a huge coyote darted out in front of me. Going 70 miles per hour, I'm sure the coyote took the brunt of the damage but it somehow busted my radiator (and took a large chunk out of my bumper, there's still coyote hair stuck to the front bumper). After getting it fixed, it was broke again by some leftover problems from the coyote so this trip took three different radiators (not to mention lots of $$$) to finish. I got a new one in Amarillo and in Rapid City, SD. Oddly enough, the other time I went to Yellowstone I had to get a new one also...

Anyway, it was an awesome trip. I'll have several articles on my blog over the upcoming days or weeks about the trip including the full reports for different segments so check there if you want to see and read more. In the meantime, here are a few pictures.

We caught some small fish...

but more big fish.

Here's a few of mine...

Big Rainbow in YNP
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com

Last edited by David Knapp; 08-18-2007 at 04:10 PM..
Old 08-18-2007, 08:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Thumbs up Thanks a lot......

We really didn't need to see pics of those fish. Honestly, you could have just posted pics of those huge grins. We would have understood .

Last Winter, my son asked me where I would go if I ever decided to take a vacation. I seem to recall saying, "Out West maybe... Colorado, Wyoming, Montana... cutthroat, rainbows and browns"

Well he chose the Florida panhandle and an attempt at Tarpon fishing. He was paying and it was a great idea at the time...

Goose egg .

But I'm not an ingrate. We had a great time even though we got skunked. I just know he's gonna groan when he sees your posts.

Great report!! Thanks!!

Gerry Romer
Old 08-18-2007, 10:38 PM

Thumbs up Sweeeet!

That's awesome guys......I bet that will make fishing around here rather boring! I wish I could have gone now! And yes, I do recall my father saying something about going out west! I believe there's a lodge that needs booking now! I'm spending entirely too much time on this site and not enough browsing....this will lead carpul tunnell and hard drive failure because I'll be attempting lodge hunting and reading the "full report" on Plateau's Blog Spot!

Great stuff! Looking forward to the full report!
Brett
Old 08-18-2007, 10:53 PM

Wow! I have never seen trout like that....can't wait to try fishing for them. I hope Montana has some like you and your buddy found. Great pictures.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:49 PM

Glad to see you guys had a good time! I couldn't even tell you the last time I went fishing. Hopefully it will get better soon. I posted my report from out west under Paradise Valley Report... See you soon!
Old 08-19-2007, 10:56 PM

Kevin, give me a holler sometime if you get a chance to fish. I'll be chasing the browns this fall if you're interested, assuming we get a little more water that is...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-20-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Wow!

David!

Sounds like quiet the adventure! Congratulations on some great fishing!

best ones!

dan

PS I'm headed to Yellowstone in September-wish me luck!
df