Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-19-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Caver Run Lake, KY

Hi!

Does anyone have any insight on Cave Run/Licking river tailrace in KY. I have been up there many times but never fished it. I know from jacob's tailwater book that they stock trout in winter/spring. I assume no holdover will survive in the heat of summer. Anyone with actual fishing experience from there?

Thanks,
Old 08-23-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Cave Run/Licking River

TennSwede,
I don't have first hand experience, have read that it is strictly put and take. The Licking is a pretty fair smallmouth fishery though. The father of fishing for the black bass called the licking his home water; James Henschall. He lived in Cynthianna, Ky. Cave Run is pretty well known as a Muskie fishery as well.

Wish I had more for you. I want to float the Licking one weekend for smallmouth.
Best,
John
Old 08-23-2007, 08:40 PM

Hans, there are a few opportunities for the rainbows but it is pretty non-existent after warm weather sets in. The Licking is a fantastic smallmouth waterway. Either are accessible from I-64 in Mt. Sterling or in Morehead. My preference for the Licking is actually contained in the Clay Wildlife Management Area in Nicholas County, KY. This past spring on Cave Run, there were a number of people fly fishing for Muskies in the shoals. Supposedly the most successful fly is a mouse looking fly.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:42 PM

thanks for the reply. Yeah I read about the stockings below the dam and I realize it is not doable in the summer. My main reason for asking is the fact that I have my inlaws in Magoffin County, KY which is less than an hour from the dam. I might go see em' for Thanksgiving and I could also put in some fishing time.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:00 PM

Hans, you need to check out Paintsville tailwater. It is about 20 min. from Salyersville. 2,000 trout were stocked last Thursday. I fished it this morning and caught about 30. The water temp. was 69 @ 10:00 A.M. All were caught on size 18 crackleback. You can check stockings @ fw.ky.gov
This is closer than Cave Run. Hope this helps.
Paul
Old 08-24-2007, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping there's some fish in November at both locations.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:42 PM

Tennswede- Just got back from the West. I did my grad and post grad work at Morehead State and used to hang around the lake. I used to fish the area above the lake as it was filling up. There WAS sure fantastic Smallmouth water there before the lake. Even though the Ky fisheries people claim to have 1.2 miles of trout habitable(sp?) water, in reality I only seen and caught trout along the concrete walkways immediately below the dam- maybe a few hundred yards!! If it is still stocked, when the hatchery truck shows up, it probably is met by the worm and corn soakers.

The Ky fish and game people post on their website, stocking dates and numbers of fish. I fish a couple streams in the Red River Gorge , just north of Mt. Parkway and Natural Bridge State Park if I can't make it to the Smokies. They have been stocked with fingerling Browns and one even has Brookies that have turned wild.

Kytroutman-I moved to Nicholas Co-Lake Carnico- a couple years ago and have just started to fish the wildlife area. I've been putting my Jon boat in up above at the upstream end of the wildlife area and floating down to the boat landing in the middle of the Wildlife area. - Is there a possible pull out inbetween them, that is one heck of a long trip if floating down all the way?

Jswitow- I came to central Ky in mid 70's, the fishing in the Licking River above Cynthiana ,I feel, has really been degraded the past couple decades. I used to live 4 miles from the South Licking. The area has undergone drastic changes in increased water demand.The S. Licking is formed by Stoner Creek and Hinkston Creek merging at Ruddle's Mills. Water many times does not get over dams upstream into the S. Licking. All the local communities use the South Licking for their water supply along with farmers irrigating out of it. During a drought in the Mid 70's, "basket dams" were built to pool the water and it was pumped out, down to a main pool to supply water to Cynthiana. I walked down sections of the river above Cynthiana where to water was to hot for even crayfish to live and pools of water had dead Smallies in them. I've seen the water levels drop several inches a day in August. Most summers, you can walk across the S. Licking at Cynthiana without getting your feet wet. Many times the City of Cynthiana has had 30 days or less of water available during August and September and has been on water restrictions.
This summer I haven't even tried to fish the S. Licking. We had August in May this year. Most of the Locals fish "the Pools" the impounded areas, but I prefer running water. The main Licking coming out below Cave Run dam has a constant flow of water. This is the water Kytroutman and I are talking about.

Tennswede, Kytroutman and Jswitow-My email is Rsale@Netburner.net.

Randy Sale
Kytroutbum