Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 08-20-2007, 01:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Exclamation Drought

Byron --

Here's a rather prescient article from the Knoxville News Sentinel from this past May 28th. It does a good job of summing up what happened this past Spring and extrapolating that information into the "future" we are now living. There's even a bit in there about the effect of the stream-side trees on water levels... so it's not all anecdotal.

http://www.scialli.org/newsPDF/drought.pdf

I also found a link to a very graphic representation of what this drought actually looks like. It's a lot more widespread that anyone has reported here on this board.

http://wrc.iewatershed.com/media/070809/

Gerry Romer
Old 08-20-2007, 01:17 PM

Gerry, that article is excellent! You might also be interested in checking out the drought monitor if you haven't done so from the University of Nebraska.

Another interesting site is the Climate Prediction Center which I check daily.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-20-2007, 06:34 PM

David (Plateau Angler)

It's great to have you and Trevor back in our part of the world. Sounds like you had a great summer adventure. I'm jealous. Thanks for taking the time to post on this board.

Byron
Old 08-20-2007, 07:12 PM

PA,

I would also recommend the following:

http://www.drought.noaa.gov/palmer.html

This is the link to the Palmer Drought Index.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:22 PM

thank you byron.

well, I actually got to look at the water today for the first time and I don't know what to say. it's worse than I could've imagined. middle prong (tremont) is almost dried up. I looked at a couple of the runs I usually pull fish out of there, and well, they're not there! there are actually runs I fish that are only dry rock now! what water is there doesn't even appear to be flowing in most spots. just looks like puddles. I can't believe it.

my favorite stretch of metcalf bottoms is unfishable. it's just rocks with little channels of water trickling through it. little river is not even tube-able! I saw tubers walking their tubes through the water, portaging around rocks to find the occasional pool they could float around in. I also saw some dude fly fishing in it. I don't have any strong ethical opinions whether or not somebody fishes in these conditions. I just know I don't enjoy fishing in sad little puddles, and that's all I need to keep me away.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Drought

G.R., P.A., KY.T.M., thank you for the good information. I have been under-appreciating how bad it is. I feel bad for that. If this is a hundred-year drought, then it is maybe like a hundred year flood, which is always a big deal. I just hadn't realized it was this severe. The maps yall provide really show how bad it is.

Ttas67, your description is incredible. It sounds awful.

I want to make a request. Next time someone is out, would you mind taking some pictures of it and posting it to the web site? It would help if it were a popular spot that most of us would recognize.

Thank you
Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 PM

Here's a bit of good news...from the 6-10 day nationwide prediction discussion from the NWS:

MOST OF TODAYS MODELS DEPICT A SLIGHT WEAKNESS IN THIS SUBTROPICAL RIDGING OVER THE EAST/EAST-CENTRAL CONUS. TELECONNECTIONS FROM ALL THREE HIGH LATITUDE ANOMALY CENTERS GENERATE A WEAK TROUGH OVER THE GREAT LAKES AREA... SUPPORTING THE IDEA OF THIS WEAKNESS IN THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGING OVER THE EAST/CENTRAL CONUS. SHOULD THIS SCENARIO PLAY OUT... NEAR TO ABOVE NORMAL PRECIPITATION WOULD BE FAVORED FOR THE SOUTHEAST QUADRANT OF THE CONUS WITH NEAR TO BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES.

The entire southeast, from Alabama eastward, is predicted to have "normal" temperatures and "above average" precipitation, starting on 26 August. Of course, this is very subject to change, but it is at least encouraging. Now that the tropics are getting active, we might see a gradual breakdown of the ridge of high pressure that has parked itself over the southeast most of the summer.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:19 AM

Trevor, It's bad. I drove up to the Glory Hole a couple of days ago. It made me sick. And I ran into one of my neighbors up there. He grew up on the Little River in the 30's. He was as bummed out as I was.

IJ, I hope you are right, thanks for the good news.

Snaildarter, I know you are going out of town for a couple of weeks but please get back on this board when you return. Your posts are very important information and I don't want to lose you. I'll try to take some pictures today if I have the intestinal fortitude to do it. I don't know.

Gerry and Kytroutman, thanks for posting the links. I think we are going to get through this soon.

Byron
Old 08-22-2007, 06:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Today's Maryville Daily Times carried a front page story about the local water situation. According to the article, Maryville and Alcoa - both of which get their water from the Little River - are considering mandatory water usage restrictions since, "the water level in the Little River has reached historical lows."

Here's a link to the complete article.

Gerry

http://www.thedailytimes.com/apps/pb.../NEWS/70822006
Old 08-22-2007, 07:54 PM

Default water

I work for the city and received an email today from the big guys. It basically stated what the paper did. We don't ever receive emails that pertain to things outside work like that. Basically they said don't wash cars, do full loads of laundry, don't take long showers, etc. The river has become a depressing place to visit at this time.