Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 08-21-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Is 6wt beefy enough?

I have a 9' 8wt and an 8-1/2' 5wt. The 8wt is hard for me to cast for more than an hour (too heavy) and the 5wt won't toss the real big bass bugs. The 8wt is fine for Steelheading when I'm mostly nymphing, but more than an hour throwing big bugs and streamers is an actual pain. So, here is my question, would a 9' 6wt allow me to toss the big flies and/or will a 6wt stop a charging Steelie. Should I even consider a 6wt that's 9-1/2'? Gallop uses a 6wt to toss his streamers on a heavy sinking line, so I'm thinking this could work. I could take 2 ounces or more of weight off my casting arm. Comments?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 AM

Default 6wt

A fast 6wt with a Clouser (c or K?) line will throw most of the flys and handle most steelhead, with a 150 yards of backing. I do a fair amount of this style of fishing; sink-tips, full sink (galloup's) and then the Clouser line for bass bugs and pond fishing. You should be able to find a 6 wt in the 3.5 oz. range. Not going to recommend a rod, that is up to you but the faster ones are easier to handle with the big flies and heavy lines.
Hope that helps.
John
Old 08-21-2007, 12:12 PM

I know absolutely nothing about steelhead fishing, but.... something you should consider is swing weight. just the actual weight of a rod in ounces can be decieving. I have a 9' 6wt t&t helix, and while I can't remember what the weight of it is, it is a light rod as far as just weight goes. the problem is that much of the weight is concentrated towards the tip. so when casting, this rod actually feels very heavy and is somewhat of a chore to cast.

generally, swing weight will also increase, the longer the rod is. so, it's possible that a 9.5 6wt, despite weighing less than an 9 8wt on a scale, could cause more fatigue simply because you're swinging a longer lever through the air. then again, it could still feel lighter, just depends on the particular rod.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:38 PM

Default I'm gonna ride w/Trevor on this one!

I'm thinking along the weight lines! I'm thinking your rod is improperly balanced or is too tip heavy. Casting an eight wieght should be a little more tiring then a six, but certainly not wear you out that fast. Are you fishing a DT line or WF...A "wiegh forward" line?? A good set up on an eight weight rod should cast rather easily.....I say cast but I mean shoot line...In my opinion heavier weight rods are about casting but are more about line "Shootability". Heavier lines, bigger guides, and heavier flies! Double Hauling will take alot of stress off of you! Don't know what kind of rod you have but I would take a look at your rods specs and shop around other rod makers wieghts......If it's a matter of 2 oz you should be able to make up the difference in purchasing of a new reel....I'd be carefull in doing so because if you rod is tip heavy now it, of course, will only make things worse!

Hope this helps!
Brett
Old 08-21-2007, 02:16 PM

One thing that I've learned since switching to glass rods is that the new extremely lightweight reels make the rods feel tippy heavy and unbalanced. If your rod is balancing on a finger up on the butt section instead of the handle with the line through the guides, then you can add weight to the reel itself by putting some sinking leadcore line below the backing to balance out the outfit. It will only add a little weight but also makes the rodtip feel light and quick again. The old plueger reels had a slot to add lead shot to the reel to accomplish to same thing on different rods. Something to try before changing to a new reel. Sorry Byron...
Old 08-21-2007, 06:05 PM

I agree with those that said it is likely a weight/balance issue. Once you master the double haul, extensive casting with something even as heavy as an 11 weight tarpon rig that is balanced correctly isn't that tiring. I commonly use a 9 or 10 to work shorelines in the Everglades casting big, bushy flies without any fatigue. Try to master making the cast with minimum amount of effort - pick up the fly with some of the weight of the line outside the tip of the rod, double haul and shoot line to the target as opposed to carrying it on several false casts. Try to make the cast with as few false casts as possible (2 or 3). When casting heavier rigs, efficiency is the key.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Thanks everyone

Thanks for all the input. The 8 wt is balanced well. I will try the double-haul and shooting more line. Again, thank you all for the info, it is much appreciated.