Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-22-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Saturday the 25th?

Wow, seems like the drought has affected the message board this week. I can usually count on at least an hour a day reading the latest postings, but no such luck this week. Guess I'll have to actually work...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is heading out to tailwaters on Saturday. I was thinking of hitting one, either the Clinch, Hiwassee, Holston, or South Holston. Any suggestions on which one is my best bet? I keep hearing good things about the HI...

Anyone want to join me and lose some flies in the big water while we wait for the blue lines to fill/cool?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:44 PM

Default I will be on the Hi...

I will be on the Hi this coming Saturday. Water temps seem to be still holding quite well this late into the year. TVA has been running 2 24-7 this week, but they may go back to their recreation schedule this weekend. If so there should be plenty of low water opportunity until mid afternoon if you keep moving down river to avoid the rising water. There are also several places you can wade on two turbines on the upper section of the river.

Was up on the So Ho Monday, and the fishing was a little slow. But they had given low water over the weekend. They are back to running water again in the afternoons. But you might get that low water again this weekend. Which might be your best bet as far as wade fishing goes.

The Holston is starting to warm a little and fishing has been a little slow, at least for me. The last time I was out two weekends ago the temps were in the low to mid 60's. I have heard it was 67 degrees down at Nances. They to are turning on water around noon until evening to start the lowering of what lake water they have.

The Clinch as been running cold, but they too have running wide open. They have started prepping for draw down as well it appears. They have been letting two go for the most part of the day for the last week or so. They are one of the only lakes in the area to have made summer pool.

Petey
Old 08-22-2007, 06:28 PM

Default This weekend.

CinnciVol,

I was thinking about heading out for a little while Saturday morning. If your looking for someone to go with, feel free to shoot me an email.

-- Travis
cltg@chartertn.net
Old 08-22-2007, 08:52 PM

I think I am going to head the the Clinch this weekend either Saturday or Sunday or heck maybe both. I would like to take my friend who wants to get into FF so if anyone wants to meet us and has a rod and reel and some extra gear he could borrow I would love to have you along. I just do not have the pole/reel much less gear to outfit him to go. I will probably post this again in a seperate topic but feel free to email me at Bencunnin1@yahoo.com. Hope to see ya'll on the river. Ben.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:25 AM

yeah, I plan on trying out some tailwater action on saturday. soho if generation is good, if not watauga, if not that, the HI/clinch/ possibly even the dang caney fork. I've got to catch some fish soon or I'll start getting the shakes. anybody want to join me ttas67@gmail.com
Old 08-23-2007, 06:59 AM

Remember that it is RACE Weekend at Bristol if you are thinking of the SoHo or Watagua. Traffic will be awful. Avoid I-81 as it will be bumper to bumper.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:53 AM

Very good point about the SoHo/Watauga and the RACE, looks like I'm going to XX out NE TN as an option this weekend! I went to the night race about 5 years ago, Gordon bumped Rusty out of the way with a couple of laps to go for the win. I didn't really care who won, but apparently 160,000 people were none too pleased with the result. Awesome time.

From the great report that Petey gave, it looks like most of the tailwaters are still in fishable shape. I was leaning towards the Hi just because it might be less crowded (with fishermen anyway) than the public access spots on the Clinch, however I have only canoed the Hi (in my carefree pre-flyfishing life!!).

Ben, I do have an extra rod/reel/line setup (6 weight) that your friend could use. If you're sold on the Clinch, I could certainly go that way too.

Travis, ever fish the Clinch or Hi? I'm game for either on Saturday.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:33 PM

i've been having areat time on one mid-TN tailwater , i just don't talk much about it

Grumpy
Old 08-23-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Got to thinking...

Actually you know, I stated the reason TVA is preparing for draw down of what little what they have... well... that not is not totally accurate.

This heat wave is what is forcing them to dump water to make power for all our AC's.

They won't start draw down until sometime after Labor Day, what water there is left. They might already be drawn down or dried up if we don't get some sort of rain soon.

Just thought I would come back and clarify that.

Suppose to be a cold front coming into the valley this weekend though. Low to mid 90's.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:28 AM

Just a little note to add to Petey's comment.

TVA operate all of our rivers and dams as a single system. The system provides a lot of things to a lot of people, including power, flood control, fresh water, recreation, fish, and commerce.

Right now, the whole system is very low. Keeping enough water in the Tennessee River for barge traffic and to flush the sewage systems has been a big reason for increased flows this year on the Hiwassee. We've not had a lot of water to give, nor have any of the other reservoirs (other than Norris maybe).

So TVA has ran what they can from each and that's meant plenty of water for us on the HI (Which we love)....and for some reason, it's remained super cold all year. It's also meant plenty of water from Norris as they actually reached summer pool.

IF you look on the TVA site at the operating guides, You can see where they've had to drain down a lot of the lakes to keep water levels up on the big river.

Power for our AC's is big right now but that's not the only big factor in the factor in the puzzle.