Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-23-2007, 08:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
The only fix for me would be a new reel.

Ooooh! I'm starting to rethink already.

Daniel! Ship that man a catalogue!!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Thanks Rog1

Thanks for bringing up a new topic. Was getting a little weary of the Trout Mortality thread, although there was some good knowledge shared. Anyway, I am right-handed, cast with my right, and strip line and reel with my left. Got used to reeling with my left when I borrowed my dad's mitchell-garcia 300 spinning real around 35 years ago. Actually, I ended up taking over that outfit since my dad never could get used to reeling with his left, he would use the rig upside down so he still could reel with his right hand, LOL.

Neal
Old 08-23-2007, 10:03 PM

Default reels

i to was getting weary of trout mortality since the closest trout to me are a tailwater it doesn't matter that much to me. nwo this is different. i reel a baitcaster with my right hand, a spinning reel and a fly reel with my left. i have heard many arguments for each i say do what is comfortable but if i have a big fish on i do prefer to use my strongest hand on the rod. i also love mitchell
300's. jason
Old 08-23-2007, 11:04 PM

I too think that you should reel with which ever hand is comfortable. However, with that being said, I also think that it makes the most sense to reel with your dominant hand. I cast right handed and reel right handed. The point that you want to avoid switching hands is hard for me to understand - any fish that you need to fight on the reel gives you ample time to even leisurely switch from right to left (or vice versa) as it begins to peel backing from the spool. Additionally, I much prefer to use my right hand to control the reel as it is the hand with which I have the most dexterity. When palming the reel I prefer to have total control on the amount of pressure that I am applying.

Having caught numerous large tarpon and countless smaller speedsters on both right and left handed set ups, I can without a doubt say that I can more efficiently fight large fish reeling with my dominant (right) hand. I will often use both hands on the rod, pinching the fly line between my fingers when pulling on a fish, and quickly and nimbly transfer my right hand to the reel handle without skipping a beat.

This debate will rage on as long as people fly fish and is just one of the reasons that makes this sport so interesting and entertaining.

Drew
Old 08-23-2007, 11:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

See. I just knew I was doing something right!!

I just didn't know why.

Gerry
Old 08-24-2007, 12:32 AM

cast right handed, reel left, that's just what feels best, but I cast pretty well left handed too, and do it often.

I don't know what my dominant hand is. I write and eat left handed. however, I throw a baseball, swing a bat, shoot a gun.. whatever else.. right handed. I absolutely cannot do those things left handed. I also cannot write with my right hand. strange isn't it.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:15 AM

Default Good Point

thats a good point about palming the reel with your dominant hand i had never thought of it since i have never caught a fish on a fly rod big enough to have to fight this way. when i said that i preferred my rod in my dominant hand on big fish i was thinking of spinning gear
Old 08-24-2007, 08:17 AM

I have all my trout reels set up for left hand wind, and my saltwater ones are right hand wind. I like right handed better for saltwater because I think I can reel a little faster, I don't get my knckles busted quite as often, and my right hand is a little stronger. In everyday life I really don't have a dominate hand, I'm amphibious

Last edited by flyman; 08-24-2007 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 AM

Wink Comment on Theory

[QUOTE=Gerry Romer;42004]

I have a theory that may or may not make sense. Since I can't always get the fish on the reel right away, a lot of that line that I've stripped in begins to get pulled downstream before I can begin reeling it in. I prefer to have it pulled past my left side where it'll be out of the way of my net. (Remember, I've got my rod in my left hand so I can net with my right hand -- if necessary.) I find it easier to reel in that excess line if it's off to my left. When I'm cranking in with my right hand, the excess line naturally stays out of my way. Make sense??

Gerry,
Seems this theory would only apply when the water is flowing from your right.
When the water is flowing from your left wouldn't the excess line be to your right? Maybe you only fish when the water is from the right. Just wondering...
Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 PM

fly fishing I primarily cast right and reel left -- though I have set up an old rod & reel to reel righty and have been practicing casting left handed with it -- I am getting up into my fifties and find the wrists are giving me problems when casting a lot --- too much twisting wrenches and hammering when working construction -- I have both a right and left hand baitcasting reels so when I am plugging for bass, trout, reds, or snook I can rest and loosen up the sore wrist