Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-24-2007, 01:19 PM

cast with my right hand
reel with my left hand (the few times it's been 'necessary' to do so)

I would find switching hands difficult, especially when I face the added challenge of staying focused enough to stay upright in the water, as I
ponder the question of how I'm going to strike the match, to light the fuse, to throw the stick of . . . . .

(hey, jus' kiddin' about the 'stick thing' - - please no responses of: 'how could any self-respecting FFer even think of using anything other than . . . . .')

sorry, guess the heat and humidity are gettin' to me

fishstu
Old 08-24-2007, 01:48 PM

Flyman, great use of a famous sports quote. "I can go left, I can go right..."

Drew, I have to respectfully disagree with you about any fish that you need to fight from a reel giving you ample time to do so. If you are casting upstream, and that bugger shoots downstream after being hooked, you are stripping a lot of line very quickly, and may have some trouble on his next run. Everyone can apply tension to the line by squeezing, but most people can't create drag as good as a reel. The line may slip from your fingers, you may squeeze too hard, you can slip on a rock and yank the line, etc. I guess we just aren't "nimble" enough. I guess this is where I would insert a smiley face, if I was ever going to do that.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:03 PM

Brian,

I am glad that you picked up on my sarcasm. I probably should have put some of my earlier post in quotes so I didn't come off as an egomaniacal windbag.

You also definitely bring up a good point of a fish running upstream and quickly pulling a 180. Luckily, I haven't encountered that being a problem and have always been able to clear any line around my feet when getting a fish on the reel. I am also so deep in the world of saltwater fly fishing that most of what I say definitely has that slant.

Drew
Old 08-24-2007, 04:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfishing View Post
Seems this theory would only apply when the water is flowing from your right.
When the water is flowing from your left wouldn't the excess line be to your right? Maybe you only fish when the water is from the right. Just wondering...
Sheesh! Now you've got me totally bumfuzzled.... I'm trying to picture my self wading in and I can't tell if I'm in a mountain stream or a tailwater. Hmmmm. Probably a tailwater, 'cause I can always wade to a point where I can turn a left-handed stream into a right-handed stream. In my mind's eye I just see all that water coming at me from upstream.

I seem to recall getting into a discussion about this with Byron some months back. Not whether or not my setup was righty or lefty. We were talking about whether the streams in the park are more ideally suited for right-hand or left-hand casting. I recall Byron saying that he'd developed a casting style that had him casting from his right side across his left shoulder whenever he had to enter a stream from the right bank. I was saying that, to me, that described most of the roadside streams in the park. As I drive thru the park - going upstream - most of the streams are flowing past on my left. I'm always looking for a bridge where the stream passes under and comes out on the right side of the vehicle, meaning I can scramble down and wade in from the left bank of the stream flow and cast right-handed. Byron's reply was that I needed to either learn to cast with either hand or adopt his cross-body technique. Haven't done either .

So I haven't really answered your question, have I? Let's try it another way. I generally try to enter a stream from the left bank of the stream flow. (If I'm looking across the stream to the far bank, the flow is coming from my left... upstream) I cast upstream for the most part and strip with my left. That's why the line tends to end up on my left. If I don't figure-eight my line, the flow grabs it and starts pulling it downstream. Since it's already on my left, I just turn my body slightly to get out of the way and let the flow take it as I strip in. That keeps it away from my right hand which is gonna do all the reelin' (one can hope...). If I have to enter from the right bank of the stream flow, I usually just wade out a bit, or all the way across and pretend that I know what I'm doing .

Now... when fishing wet flies in a classic down and across technique...

Gerry
Old 08-26-2007, 09:08 PM

I learned to fish on a PB Zebco's and Johnson reels with right hand cranks. It felt strange to me until I got my first spinnning outfit with left hand wind. It felt "right" to me, and later even my baitcasters had to be left hand crank. I definately favor my right hand for Power, and cast and hold the rod when fighting fish in the right. This simply carried over to my fly fishing. I reel, strip, palm the spool and haul with my left. I feel like I have more "fine" dexterity with my left and really favor it for alot the detail stuff on the tying vice. When I am about to net, or unhook a fish, the rod and line slack go in my left hand. It is interesting to stop and think, and now write about things that are just involuntary on the stream.

AA
Old 08-26-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
You also definitely bring up a good point of a fish running upstream and quickly pulling a 180. Luckily, I haven't encountered that being a problem
I lost a good size brown just last week when this happened. I hooked him on the downstream end of a drift. He shot down stream a few yards, turned around and headed up stream. After he passed me and went another couple yards up, he turned around and headed back downstream again. I wasn't quick enough to get him to the reel and was applying drag with my left hand. He snapped my 6X tippet

Most of the fish I've caught so far didn't need the reel's drag, but when a big one gets on, it's a different story. Fortunately, this was not a "fish of a lifetime" just a big brown. It was in a tailwater and big, but not THAT big.

Jeff