Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-23-2007, 10:04 PM

Default Beaver Dam Creek

I need directions to Beaver Dam Creek. Would like to fish this creek. I have heard some really good stories about this creek. The only stream I have fished in this part of the state is Watauga. Only got to fish a couple of hours before the water came down on me. Not a very fun trip. Any info would be a help.

Thanks
Bill
Old 08-24-2007, 11:52 AM

Default A little info

Bill,

I think the best way to get there is to take I-81 all the way to the Damascus exit. Can't remember for sure, but I think it is Exit 19. Turn right (follow the signs to Damascus). I'm guessing a drive of 10-12 miles brings you into downtown Damascus. Look for a brown "forest service type" sign to Backbone Rock Recreation Area. The turn is about two blocks into town on your right. I forget the name of the highway. Follow this road out of town. You will see Beaverdam on your right about a mile outside of town. Unless you have a Virginia liscense, I STRONGLY recommend waiting until you cross back into TN before fishing
Once you cross the TN line, most anywhere you find a pull off will have decent water.

A little advice:

This stream will cloud up quite a bit after any measurable rainfall in the upper drainage (Shady Valley), that can be a blessing or a curse.
If it is slightly off color, it's big brown time. Use tactics appropriate for big browns.
If it is way off color, you may want to forget about it and head for clearer water. It doesn't take a tremendous amount of rainfall to blow this stream out from what I've seen in the past. Try one of its tribs if the water is way off color. The tribs are tight, but there be brookies!

It is a great stream and I usually catch some pretty nice fish. Never have caught any of those 20+ inch browns, but I know they are there. Some wild rainbows, but also a lot of 12" stockers.

Good Luck.