Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-24-2007, 04:26 PM

Thumbs up Byron's Les Paul

Hey Byron, I've noticed that many fly Fishermen also either have or do play guitar. I wonder if there is a large percent or what. Anyhow, I play a Taylor 414 and go strictly acoustic. In 6 years of playing I've never even picked up an electric. Maybe some day, who knows.

With it being so hot and no Park fishing, why don't you "lay down an back beat and crank up your trusty Gibson, Son"? It's a misdemeanor to let that ax hang on the wall for so long. Might help you forget about the drought. I believe I'll change strings and flat pick tonight with a cold beer or two. Let me know if you do and how it works out.

Jimi, like Stevie Ray, understood the instrument. God Bless both.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:37 PM

I play guitar too. I can't really play much on electric. I might if I had one, but that's another story. Maybe you could write an LRO theme song. or the Little River Drought Blues.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:50 PM

I play guitar too. I have a couple Martins (HD-28V, SPD-16K2 Koa), a 12 string Seagull, an Epiphone Les Paul, an Oation, end a campfire beater. Wow, I sure do hope my wife does not read this message board. She may start asking questions about how much fly rods and guitars cost.

Now, I wish I had the talent to play them to their full potential...

Jeff
Old 08-24-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Guitars

Jeff -

Those Koa Martins are pretty sweet. I'm down to one Martin HD-28 guitar and one Breedlove mandolin.

There's a mandolin discussion group on the net that holds an annual weekend doin' on a trout stream in NC. I think there is definitely some correlation or at least common interests...

sb

Last edited by Stonefly; 08-24-2007 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 08-24-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Guitars and fishing

Another picker here. I've been spending more time with my Fender Tele the last couple of weeks. Too hot and dry to fish so my spare time has been spent getting the rust out of my fingers and playing some blues and rock. I've got 3 Telecasters and a Gibson SG here. The SG is a Tony Iommi Signature model and It's set up with the same type of pickups he used in Sabbath. It really nails that Black Sabbath sound.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:46 PM

My daddy left home when I was 3.
He didn't leave much for ma and me.
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze...
Old 08-24-2007, 07:40 PM

I play some, although not as much as I used to, since I started fly fishing at least. strictly acoustic now, takamine. in fact, I just sold my tele last month and bought a winston fly rod w/ the money!

if I could play any other instrument, it would probably be a sax/trumpet, or the piano.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:54 PM

I play a pretty mean I-Pod. Guess that doesn't count.

Any fly fisherpersons out there Merlefest attendees? After fishing, music is my passion - just can't play.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-24-2007, 09:30 PM

I play guitar too. I'm actually going into the studio in late September early October. You can hear a rough cut of one of my tunes here.
www.myspace.com/bobgoodsonandthebluesmachine

I've got an old 1940's Kay acoustic that my Dad got when he was a kid. The guitar is in good shape except for the neck. My favorite guitar is a Strat. I saw Eric Clapton in 1990 on the Journeyman tour and said... "I want to play like that!" There are some emotions that can only be expressed in music.

I agree with Byron and many others here. Jimi and Stevie changed the sound of music. Especially Jimi. I find it ironic that I came to the message board to post about Byron's fishing report today and there was already a post about music.

Man I love this board!! I can feel the stress oooze out of me every time I visit.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:22 PM

Here are a couple pics of my guitars.

Click on the thumbnails to see full size if interested.
HD-28V

SPD-16K2

Epiphone Les Paul

Jeff

Last edited by jeffnles1; 08-24-2007 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: added titles for pics