Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-26-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Got to check out the local emergency room...

Well after stocking up with some new poppers from LRO on Saturday, I couldnt wait for today to try a new fishery for some small mouth. I got on the road around 7:30 and by the time I got to the river it was nine something and I drove around awhile just looking for different points to access the river. I saw a few other guys spin fishing and noted their spots to try them out later that day. I found a likely set of shoals to wade with some deeper water tailing out to some large bluffs. I hooked into a few smaller fish and when I had a pretty decent fish on I had it about 10 or 15' out infront of me and the hook came free. Well the zonker sailed behind me and I was completely disgusted and began to roll the line infront of me and I did this as I turned to face back up the chanel. I'm guessing the current pulled the zonker and line farther behind me than I thought and as I felt the line coming up my shoulder I was smacked in the face by the lure. Well I thought that it hooked onto my hat but after a slight tug I realized that I was in a little bit of a predicament. I felt no pain just pressure and no blood. Well as you can imagine I started getting alittle nervous because I didnt know where the nearest emergency room was and didnt have anyone with my to drive. I nice man in the parking lot I was parked in pointed me in the right place, after a few wierd looks. Walked into the emergency room and I think everyone in that place asked what the heck was stuck in between my eyes. After a tetnus shot and some numbing medicine the doc pulled it back out of the same hole it went in. You wouldnt believe the amount of force he had to use to get it out. I sit here now and I'm so thankful that God was looking out for me and still have both eyes. I am extremely lucky. I was tellling my dad that 99% of the time I am always wearing my sunglasses even if its cloudy just for protection from any flying objects and the rain this morning kept me from wearing them, so I am one lucky guy. Anyway I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Last edited by mmorgan135; 08-26-2007 at 11:56 PM..
Old 08-26-2007, 05:35 PM

Close call buddy! Glad to see you're ok. I saw a photo somewhere of an eyeball with a fly stuck in it. I think of that image quite often....especially windy days. A nice reminder here of the importance of sunglasses.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:55 PM

Yet another great reason for barbless hooks!!! Glad your ok...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-26-2007, 07:08 PM

A good reason to go barbless also. Matt, you are very lucky, glad your OK.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:54 PM

My dad hooked me in the head once when I was a kid. He kept telling me "it's just in your hair son calm down". After a good while he got it out and when I reached back I got some blood. I was young but I knew hair didn't bleed. He got payed back thou when he hooked his thumb and had to go to Fontana Village to get it removed. Sure wish I could have been. Good thing it didn't get your eye that wouldn't have been good.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

OUCH!!

How was the fishing otherwise??

Gerry

You say you picked that up at LRO??

Last edited by Gerry Romer; 08-26-2007 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: gratuitous plug
Old 08-26-2007, 10:58 PM

I was on my third fish when this whole thing started. I was planning on staying all day so I was hoping to catch quite a few. I saw some real pigs in there today but kinda spooky. I had picked up a ton of these copper zonkers a few months ago, but I picked up a bunch of those new poppers Saturday at LRO.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:03 PM

......and I think I'm going to go to the hardware store tomorrow and spend a few hours removing any barb on all the flies that I own. If I could only describe the sound of my skin tearing as he pulled the fly out....The funny thing is that I only got alittle upset when I felt alot of blood running down my face, and when I say alot I mean enough to make a white washcloth completely red.

LRO,
Do you think I could swap out a brand new barely worn Sage t-shirt that I bought on Saturday with a few blood stains. haha my copay was less than the cost of the t-shirt.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Glad to see your ordeal hasn't affected your sense of humor!!

Gerry
Old 08-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Oh dear! Thank heaven it wasn't your eye!

Paula