Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-27-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Frank Church Wilderness, early AUG

Returned from annual Western trip 12 AUG, and as usual was high adventure. Could not get into the FC River of No Return Wilderness on SAT 4 AUG, as smoke from forest fires to the west was too bad. Flew around for three hours trying to thread the needle, but the pilot, who had 25+ years of stick time in the mountains of ID, thought it a bridge too far. Like looking at a painted wall. Forest fires we did see were spectacular, seeing flames through the smoke is both frightening and exhilarating at the same time. Got in SUN 0800 and stayed three days on Big Creek, at Cabin Creek. Best of the non-ranch airstrips on Big Creek, slope kind of reminded me of the one at Pleiku. Over forty fish in three days, smallest over a foot. All West Slope cutthroats, and most hit foam hoppers. With dropper some whitefish, so I took it off. Floated the Middle Fork of the Salmon, and waded it next day. Finished with the Big Wood in Sun Valley, and back to Salt Lake for the flight home. Would not hesitate to go back to Cabin Creek, as was secluded, the fishing was great, and the flights in/out great fun. If I get some digital photos from the rest of the crowd I will try to post them, but I am I.T. challenged. Skip Watson
Old 08-28-2007, 08:24 PM

hw3,
What did you think of the Big Wood? what area of it did you fish ? We spent a week there once and fished mainly the upper section. I don't think we were on the best part of the river. This I found out after the fact. It is a beautiful stream.

mstone
Old 09-04-2007, 12:21 PM

mstone: Sorry this took so long, but I saw an article in SEP 07 Fly Fisherman on Big Wood. We too were on the upper part, north of Ketchum +/= 10-15 miles or so, and as water was down, fish were spooky and not too big. Did catch west slope cutts, and a rainbow or two, and yes, it is a beautiful stream. May find article @ flyfisherman.com; sounds like it could be a great river if the conditions were right. watson