Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-28-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Not a joke, has anyone seen this stuff???

Here is a link to an article about some new algea they call "rock snot". Supposedly a threat to trout of all kinds and says the East and even TN has been afflicted with this stuff. It sounds disgusting and a bit disconcerting/alarming. Any sign of it in the Smoke's

Perhaps the more technical among us will know more.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294729,00.html
Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

It's for real and it's in TN. The Clinch is loaded with it. For now the Smokies are clear. If you will run a search of this message board on the word "didymo" you'll find a couple threads with some interesting info right here on this board.

Gerry
Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 PM

yeah, I can remember just a few years ago, the bottom of the clinch around miller's island was just black rocks with a little green algae. now the whole bottom is covered with that mucus.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:08 PM

The South Holston and the Watauga are afflicted with it as well. Nasty stuff that is making nymph fishing a real pain. Hopefully it won't smother the bugs.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:16 PM

im not exactly sure how to indentify didymo, but i know that the holston has a lot of nasty "riverweed" (as i call it when i pull it off my hook). i'm pretty sure its the same stuff though. i know there is a sign at one part of the watauga that says "get to know didymo", there are spots of watauga with a lot, and then there are other spots with not near as much.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:48 AM

Milligan,
It's definately didymo you are seeing. It seems to thrive in the cold water of tailwaters. It also seems to do better in water that gets a lot of sun, so the fluctuating temperatures in the the Smokies, as well as the tree canopy, might help stave it off there.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:59 AM

Exclamation Caution!!!!!

Don't forget to spray your waders after fishing in waters with didymo.... otherwise you can transfer the stuff around from stream to stream!!! I keep a bit of spray Clorox in the truck and give my boots and waders a good spray to kill off the stuff. So far we haven't seen it on the Elk, but it could get here easy enough.

Ralph
Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 AM

http://www.tva.gov/river/neighbors/aug05/algae.htm
http://www.tva.gov/river/neighbors/aug05/#8
The above are a couple of links to " TVA" and their report on didymo. I first saw this in SOHO about three years ago and at the time from casual observation and the small area effected I thought that this was "sewage fungus". I call my friends at Water Quality and told them I thought someone was discharging sewage into the river. They checked it out and call back to say it was didymo. If you do some research you will find it showing up in most of the surrounding states ,New Zeland and the North East. I don't think anyone has a handle on this as to cause,effects or how it is spread -other than by fishermen and their equipment.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czkid View Post
Don't forget to spray your waders after fishing in waters with didymo.... otherwise you can transfer the stuff around from stream to stream!!! I keep a bit of spray Clorox in the truck and give my boots and waders a good spray to kill off the stuff. So far we haven't seen it on the Elk, but it could get here easy enough.

Ralph
CZkid,
I think you are definately ahead of the curve on this stuff. While spraying non-absorbing items such as waders may work, I'm not sure it is sufficient to kill the cells in absorbing surfaces like felt soles. I've read bio-security procedures that recommend soaking wading boots for at least 30 - 40 minutes in either hot water, a combination of hot water and dish detergent, or a water/bleach solution. Ultimately, the best solution may be to keep two pairs of boots for use in contaminated/non-contaminated areas.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

When I get home from a weekend on the Clinch I stick my boots in a pan using a mixture of 70% hot hot hot water and 30% Pine Sol for a few hours. I then rinse them very well with high pressure washer and then put them in my dryer on a drying rack with no heat for several hours to dry them out. Kills the Didyamo and keeps them from stinking up my "man room."